Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

A teen who wants to cook

no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

A teen who wants to cook

by Kris Billiter » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:24 pm

Afternoon everyone! I know the Kitchen forum is the better place for this but I was hoping to get more people to see it here first before perhaps moving it to the other forum. I have a 13 year old daughter who is really wanting to learn to cook and bake more. She really enjoys it but at this point lacks confidence to really give it a go on her own. She has asked for cooking related items and cookbooks for Christmas.
Any thoughts from your own experience? Perhaps a cookbook that you have used? Any classes you have found helpful here locally? Thanks everyone!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: A teen who wants to cook

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:02 pm

Kris, I haven't personally looked at this one, but friends with middle-school children have spoken well of this one:
The Complete Cookbook for Young Chefs
The link takes you to an Amazon.com page with more information. (The link is also our affiliate link, for full disclosure. If you buy it at $10.99, we'll get about a 35-cent commission. :oops: )
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:05 pm

PS: When I was searching for a link to that book, I found this blog post with reviews for it and four other books recommended for young chefs. I don't get any commissions on these links. ;)

5 Best Cookbooks for Teenagers for your Kitchen
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:09 pm

As always Robin, I’m grateful for your thoughts and your willingness to offer advice!
no avatar
User

Gena W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:17 pm

by Gena W. » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:28 pm

I have seen lots of ads for the new Food Channel Kitchen app. It’s a subscription based service, $7 a month. Don’t know much about it, but it looks like it could be good for someone just starting out in the kitchen. Like having a chef in the kitchen with you.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:46 pm

Cant go wrong with Food Wishes, great recipes, pretty simple things to make and has videos and print recipes, so you can watch for technique and print out to try them.. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipes/1679 ... od-wishes/ Try out American Goulash, Meatloaf, Chicken Parm.. Etc.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:26 am

My love for food and cooking came from the Food Network; Emeril, Flay, Batali, ect. I can't learn by reading a cookbook, I need to see it happening.

The Kitchen and Guy's Ranch Kitchen on Food Network would probably be a good place to start.

I also like the Chef Show on Netflix.

All do a pretty good job of explaining/teaching what and why things are happening.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:24 am

America's Test Kitchen (PBS TV series, books, et al) has a new cookbook/class series for kids; our grandkids like it, and their stuff is usually pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Cookboo ... 9517&psc=1
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:11 pm

Gary Guss wrote:Cant go wrong with Food Wishes, great recipes, pretty simple things to make and has videos and print recipes, so you can watch for technique and print out to try them.. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipes/1679 ... od-wishes/ Try out American Goulash, Meatloaf, Chicken Parm.. Etc.

I made a timpano based on a recipe I saw on Binging with Babish once. His “Basics” videos are pretty solid as well. I’d recommend the Serious Eats videos, too.
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:58 pm

Thanks everyone!!! I really appreciate the responses look forward to checking out all of your suggestions!
no avatar
User

jon.larmee

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:09 pm

by jon.larmee » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:34 pm

I know I'm late to the post, but I wanted to throw in a suggestion. Typical cookbooks are great and certainly come with a degree of quality guarantee and certainly there are monolithic standards like The Joy of Cooking, but they leave out a sense of anarchy and personal creativity that teens love to seek out in everything.

To that end, I'd suggest The Flavor Thesaurus by Niki Segnit as well as Culinary Artistry by Karen Page and Andrew Dornenburg. The former lists popular foods under 16 categories and gives a brief synopsis of pairings. The latter (which also has a sequel titled The Flavor Bible) alphabetically lists item after item after item with suggested pairings that are ranked by how commonly they're used and includes a ton of blurbs from acclaimed chefs about how they've used certain combinations.

These books may make better gifts for a cook who's mastered some basics give the lack of guidelines (so maybe a great birthday present), but their value is irrefutable. I can attest that at least two local chefs keep copies in their kitchen for when they're standing over a pot thinking, "it's missing something, I just don't know what."
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:18 pm

Hey everyone! Just thought I’d update you all on what I decided. We are going with some America’s Test Kitchen for kids books. I looked into some classes and other things and ultimately decided to do something ourselves. I bought her a 6 in chef’s knife and a glove to wear for protection. Rather than paying for classes (which I’m sure are great!) I’m putting together our own cooking school. Once each month we are going to make a meal and dessert from scratch.
I’m still putting the list together of what we will do but I’m focusing on things we love to eat and that cover a lot of basic techniques! I’m going through some cookbooks and will likely grab a couple of those mentioned here. I’m also revisiting some episodes of Good Eats and Tyler’s Ultimate for inspiration. Thanks again for all your help!
Kris
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:19 am

Thanks for the update as I was following because we have a nephew who is quite a bit older, around 30, lives at home with Mom. He found out he really needed to learn to cook when my sister in law had a hip replacement and fast food got old fast. We wound up finding a couple of the "idiot's guides to cooking " type books some sheet pans and a good meat thermometer and timer. Thought it was a start anyway