Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Best local pizza these days

Boombozz
No votes
Charlestown Pizza Co.
No votes
Coals
33%
Danny Mac's
3%
DiOrio's
6%
Impellizzeri's
3%
Iroquois Pizza
No votes
Luigi's
3%
MozzaPi
27%
Old School NY Pizza
3%
Parlour
No votes
Pizza Lupo
6%
The Post
9%
Wick's
No votes
Za's
No votes
Other (please post your choice in a reply)
6%

Total votes : 33
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

Re: POLL: Best local pizza these days?

by neal.johnson » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:24 am

Mike L wrote:Since the topic is local, I think Richo's in New Albany deserves consideration. I love their deep dish, and it's inexpensive. A little bit of a drive but worth it.

Good call. Their little personal deep dish pies are the best in town. Probably my favorite pizza.
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:27 pm

Butchertown closing hurt me. Coals is still my jam though. I like post up until the end of the crust. Still looking for a great ny style replacement.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:30 pm

Dan E wrote:Still looking for a great ny style replacement.

Old School NY Pizza is run by a couple of guys from Brooklyn who know what they're doing. It's way out in the far end of the East End, though.
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:34 pm

I never really journey out that way, but perhaps my love of being fat will win out over my love of being lazy, motivated by the sweet siren song of pizza
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:30 pm

To be honest, having lived in NYC for several years in the '90s and having spent summers there as a teen-ager in the, um, '60s, I think I know NYC pizza. I can't honestly say that either Butchertown or The Post really hit that nail quite on the head, but Old School NY came closer. Talking about the ubiquitious slice shops here, not the classic coal-fired sit-down shops like John's or Di Fara's. I'd say Coals comes the closest to them. Or MozzaPi. Don't forget MozzaPi!
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:48 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Or MozzaPi. Don't forget MozzaPi!

They get a lot more interest if they ever start opening in the evenings like they originally said they were going to do. Right now it's only breakfast/lunch, I believe they close at 2 PM so a lot of people can't even get out there except for on weekends.

I certainly do agree with you about New York pizza however, Old-School New York Pizza is certainly our go to play for a NY style pie.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Michele Janosek

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Douglass Hills

by Michele Janosek » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:38 am

For true NY style , hubby and I always go to Old School. The Post is a fine runner-up. We also love the pizza at Ciao and Milantoni's.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:32 am

I have a coupon for Derby City Pizza Company, and I see they’ve opened a store of Lower Brownsboro. Anyone tried it yet? I seem to remember hearing good things about the other locations (and they are also opening one soon in Plainview).
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:06 pm

MarieP wrote:I have a coupon for Derby City Pizza Company, and I see they’ve opened a store of Lower Brownsboro. Anyone tried it yet? I seem to remember hearing good things about the other locations (and they are also opening one soon in Plainview).

I haven't tried it, Marie. I'm sure it will be more than passable thin-crust pie, but the fact that it appears to be a local business expending very rapidly into a mini-chain, I wouldn't expect an artisanal experience. :mrgreen: I'd be willing to be proven wrong, though, so I'll probably try one before long, and I welcome your report.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:48 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
MarieP wrote:I have a coupon for Derby City Pizza Company, and I see they’ve opened a store of Lower Brownsboro. Anyone tried it yet? I seem to remember hearing good things about the other locations (and they are also opening one soon in Plainview).

I haven't tried it, Marie. I'm sure it will be more than passable thin-crust pie, but the fact that it appears to be a local business expending very rapidly into a mini-chain, I wouldn't expect an artisanal experience. :mrgreen: I'd be willing to be proven wrong, though, so I'll probably try one before long, and I welcome your report.

I grew up in St Louis where thin crust pizza was the norm (and I think still is to some extent). I really enjoyed the pizzas back then but not as much these days as they become less artisan and more commercial. As for Derby City Pizza, they are similar but they don't use provel cheese, nor does their crust taste as good. So sure, Derby City is pretty good and a change from the norm. But its clear from previous discussions that the average Louisvillian is not impressed by the style. ...... that all said, I look forward to your report as well.
James J. Natsis
Previous