Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

Philly Cheesesteak Express?

by Joni L » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:30 pm

Hi friends,

Does anyone have any intel on a "coming soon" spot in Forest Springs (think LaGrange Road Kroger heading toward Peewee)? The location was a fast-fired pizza places (Firenze, I think) which closed suddenly. There's now a very professional-looking, chain-type sign for Philly Cheesesteak Express. I couldn't find a chain online by that name, so it has me really curious. While I would love for it to be locally-owned, I'll take a good cheesesteak any old time. I currently live within walking distance, so I'm really looking forward to trying it!

Have a great evening!
Joni
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Philly Cheesesteak Express?

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:17 pm

Keep us posted, Joni!
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:03 am

I believe this is the website, although it doesn't list an address (it matches information on the building permit application):

http://www.phillyexpress502.com
no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Joni L » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:30 am

Thanks, Rich! That's definitely their right website - the logo matches that on the building.

I'll definitely keep everyone posted when they open!
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:14 pm

Based on the website it looks like it may be a 1 of, quite possibly locally owned, which would be a great thing. Looks like they did some upfront work with logos etc. so they probably have their act together. Hopefully the food is as much put together.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Bryan Shepherd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:58 pm

Between Here and There

by Bryan Shepherd » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:00 pm

Even a mediocre cheesesteak is good, right? Anyway, if you haven’t been to Barry’s on Preston Hwy and their recently opened 2nd location on 2nd St in Old Louisville, do yourself a favor and give it a try.....it’s THAT good!
BShep
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:56 pm

I went to Barry's on Preston after reading all the rave reviews. The parking was almost non-existent, and the long lines at 11:25 am was unbelievable. After waiting about 20 minutes in line and then another 20 after placing the order...well I was hoping for something akin to an orgasm. Didn't happen. It was a good cheesesteak, but I have had several as good and a few that were better.

My go to right now, and get ready for this for it will knock your socks off...

Jersey Mikes on Shelbyville Road at Dorsey Lane. I would not mislead you...my buddy had been trying to get me in there for months and when I went...well...you get in there and give me your opinion!
User

Scott Hack

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:09 pm

Pewee Valley, Kentucky

by Scott Hack » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:29 pm

So I have good news for you Joni. This is something being opened by Ali of Old School Pizza. Crazy guy is opening that new restaurant and expanding Old School Pizza at the same time. I've never had the cheese steak at Old School, but I have heard it is good. I think we can at least count on the place running efficiently with prompt service, which is half of the battle.
Scott Hack
Finish Line Realty
502-376-4225
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:11 pm

Scott, thanks for the update. I certainly agree that based on who the ownership is we should expect it to be a well-run restaurant. I can't get past pizza at Old-School but label trying the cheesesteaks at the new place.

User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

by Chris M » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:17 am

Haven't had a chance to go in yet, but they were open when I went by yesterday.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:31 pm

I was really excited about this place till I saw their prices. Right now, they only have steak or chicken sandwiches starting at $9.00, $1.00 to add cheese (choice of provolone, American, or whiz), and $0.25/topping (grilled onions, grilled peppers, mushrooms, lettuce, tomato, banana peppers, or jalapeño peppers). So a minimum of $10.00 for a basic cheesesteak sandwich. That seems a little high to me. Maybe that's for 12"? If so, they should offer a 6" portion. I just saw a photo of the menu, and it didn't specify. They say more items are coming soon, and I'm hoping they'll have gyros.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:48 pm

Kim H wrote: I just saw a photo of the menu, and it didn't specify.

Where did you see the photo?

User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:43 pm

I did a Google advanced search, and it showed up under yelp photos.
https://www.google.com/search?as_q=Loui ... as_rights=
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:05 pm

Kim H wrote:I did a Google advanced search, and it showed up under yelp photos.
https://www.google.com/search?as_q=Loui ... as_rights=

Thanks!

no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Joni L » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:49 pm

So, I won't call this an accurate review because we dropped in on their opening night last week. Overall impressions were exactly what you might expect for a first night. Service was iffy (they messed up several orders), food was good but not great, there was no menu (you had to walk to the counter to hear what they had on offer), and sandwiches were small for the prices. We paid $27 for two sandwiches, one fry, and one fountain drink which felt pretty high. Cheese seemed on the light side (I like 'em cheesy) but steak was tender and seasoned pretty well. Fries were good - lightly breaded and nice and crispy and a huge serving. I will definitely give them another try in a week or two, to allow them to work out the kinks. I'll post another review when I do.
Next