Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

Dinner At Celtic Pig Restaurant and Pub

by RichardM » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:18 am

So after my monthly Tuesday night advisory meeting, I suggested to Suzi that we grab supper out. Someplace different. Someplace we had never been to. She suggested Celtic Pig Restaurant and Pub, 217 E Main St Suite 104, Louisville, KY 40202. I am always up for good Irish food, sounded good.

Found a parking place right in front of the place on Main St at 8pm. When we went in I was confuse…two sets of stairs one down and one up, but no designation as to where or what was up or down. The server hostess said the restaurant was up, so up we went. There was only 2 tables with people at them and when she asked if we would like a window seat I said yes please. She walked down the isle, stopped and came back up and said what about this one. Well yeah it’s by the window so we can watch the street, as are all the other ones in that line.

You ever get tingly hairs on the back of your neck?

We sit down and look at the menus. Nice selection of food. I thought the appetizers were one or two dollars hight but it’s downtown and not east end and a new place. meh. We ordered one Scotch Egg $8.

Time between sitting down and getting our drinks was enough to peruse the menu and pick out what we wanted. Tingly

I got Fish and Chips, substituting fried corn, fried with bacon and onion for the chips and a side of country pole beans simmered in ham hock, onion and garlic. Suzi got the vegetarian pierogis cooked with onions and mushrooms and a side of sweet peas, for her entree.

So the glass of Kendall-Jackson was good.

Waitress came to the table and said, “They are having to thaw the Scotch Egg before they can cook it so it will be some time”. RED FLAG

Then a couple minutes later she brought the entrees. Where do I start. OK with mine.

The fish was good, Fresh. Nice white flakey fish with a good coating fried well. Then the corn. I am not so sure it was friend as almost warmed up. It was GREASY and really not much bacon flavor nor pieces of bacon. Not something I would order again. Pole beans looked good. Yeah, however the ham hock I got in the serving was ham hock bone, no meat and the garlic was strong with the dish. It had a vinegary taste. I ate less than half of each side dish.

About 4-5 minutes into eating our entrees the waitress brings out the scotch egg. hmmmm Desert.

Suzi’s pierogis. She’s from Pittsburgh. Pierogis are a thing there. You don’t DEEP FRY pierogis. You boil them in bubbling hot water, then you sauté them in a pan with butter or on a flat top in butter the way the church ladies do all across Pennsylvania. Think Fish or Chicken dinners at churches here for Lent or Summer picnics, it how you do it. And you sauté the onions and mushrooms as you sauté the pierogis. She used to be a professional cook, she can taste instant mash potatoes with a pin head amount and she never found any cheese in the pierogis, probably because it got fried out in the deep fryer.

The idea of the scotch eggs is to have a runny yolk. You have a boiled egg chilled, wrapped in Irish sausage, then when ordered to deep fry that to cook the sausage and make the egg hot but still runny. Freezing was never mentioned in any recipe. Nor was spicy chorizo sausage over wrap. I get it. Restaurants want to be special. Good idea. But somethings are just done one way and scotch eggs are such a thing. It was ok good, but not spectacular as it should. Might have been better as an appetizer rather than desert. If you don’t have any thawed to cook, tell the customer you are out of them and GIVE them another appetizer on the house.

Will we go back? Not sure. Certainly not on a slow night.
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Dinner At Celtic Pig Restaurant and Pub

by Mark R. » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:23 am

Thanks for the review Richard, that was 1 of the restaurants we had on our list to try soon but after your review it certainly fell down the list considerably.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

by Nora Boyle » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:24 pm

Oh dang. I’ve been doing them in my instant pot then sticking them in my air fryer. They were delicious, sorry for the sin!
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

by RichardM » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:55 pm

Nora Boyle wrote:Oh dang. I’ve been doing them in my instant pot then sticking them in my air fryer. They were delicious, sorry for the sin!

I can understand that way. Instapot is steam/boiling them sort of... and air fryer would cut down on fats. It's more that southern deep fat fry stuff, not meant to be that done that way. Pierogis are supposed to be a soft noodle food.
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.