Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Air fryers

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Air fryers

by Carla G » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:50 pm

So many air fryers seem to be on sale right now making them really affordable.
Is anyone using one or am I correct in thinking that I can just continue to use my oven on a really high temp? Are air fryers worth the storage space?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Air fryers

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:52 pm

I don't have one, Carla, but I'm watching with interest. I can report that I've successfully made "fried" chicken and "fried" potatoes by smearing them with oil and cooking them at high heat in the oven.
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:07 am

We have an air fryer and don't use it nearly as much as I thought we would but then again we don't fry much conventionally either. We do have some family members who swear by them in fact one much younger family member had me pick her up a model that was a great buy at Costco recently, not because hers went out but because she wanted a second one. Go figure
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:44 am

Robin Garr wrote:I don't have one, Carla, but I'm watching with interest. I can report that I've successfully made "fried" chicken and "fried" potatoes by smearing them with oil and cooking them at high heat in the oven.

That’s what I’ve been doing.
I’m intrigued by the notion of an oilers fryer but honestly can’t think of 1/2 dozen recipes I’d use it for. Like Bev, I guess I just don’t fry that much.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:36 am

I bought mine on sale at Costco and I can categorically state that it has been worth the (small amount of) money. It is great for two people and when you don't want to heat up the entire kitchen with the oven. It's basically just a miniaturized convection oven. I've found that it produces a marginally better crust on such things as chicken or fish, than a high-temperature bake in the oven. Just spray a little oil on the food and basket (don't overcrowd), and you're good to go. Quick, easy clean-up as well. While I'm not sure I could justify springing for a +$200 Philips, if you can get one for less than fifty and you have the storage space, it's not a bad thing to have around. In fact, it's worth the money for the chicken wings alone.
User

James Imhoff

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:39 am

Lousville

by James Imhoff » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:53 am

I have bought a Philips air fryer 2 years ago for my wife and she's been using it happily :)