Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

More advice please

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

More advice please

by Carla G » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:41 pm

After reading recently how increased coffee prices are resulting in a great deal of “foreign matter” being introduced into ground coffee to pad out the bag weight I’ve decided to simply buy beans and grind my own. A good burr grinder is out of my budgetary limits (I need one that will do a fine, Turkish grind as well as a percolator grind.) And I don’t really have the counter space to dedicate to a grinder anyway. So, I thought I’d buy beans from one of Louisville’s locals and have it ground there in their professional machine.
Do you mind sharing your favorite coffee roaster and telling why you’re such a fan?
Thanks!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

Re: More advice please

by Gary Guss » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:02 pm

We like Sunergos, but since we are also cheap as hell, we also like Trader Joes... especially Joes Decaf.. I'm not a big French Roast fan, I like more mellow stuff like Columbian and more like a Breakfast blend. When I was a bachelor in hell ( after being divorced) a long time ago, I used to chew Folgers crystals and run out the door, so I'm not exactly whatever the coffee version of a foodie is.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:54 am

I like Heine Bros., but it's probably more because the Frankfort Avenue shop has been our community center and surrogate office for 25 years, and because I like their commitment to fair-trade coffee. Mary says their blends are generally too bitter for her. I just order a latte. :lol:

For home use, I get Illy brand espresso (from Trieste) in cans from Lotsa Pasta. To be embarrassingly frank, I find that the vacuum-packed pre-ground is fine for me, and I'm willing to trade perfection in exchange for not having to fool with the grinding step at all. :oops:
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:08 am

Robin Garr wrote:
For home use, I get Illy brand espresso (from Trieste) in cans from Lotsa Pasta. To be embarrassingly frank, I find that the vacuum-packed pre-ground is fine for me, and I'm willing to trade perfection in exchange for not having to fool with the grinding step at all. :oops:

I buy a great Turkish coffee in a vacuum packed can that’s delicious but can’t find in in anything other than a Turkish (powdery fine) grind and it won’t work for my perc. (Sigh)
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:00 pm

I like Quills. Haven’t bought their beans or ground coffee for home use, but the in-store espresso, especially in the Cortado, is delicious. The coffee has a slight chocolate flavor that I enjoy. It’s not a flavored coffee, so I attribute the chocolate to their roasting method and suspect the beans for retail sale are similarly roasted. Already mentioned Sunergos would be my next choice.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:38 am

Red Hot Roasters but I also like Trader Joe's - anything dark but particularly the Cafe Pajaro
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:14 am

I wound up taking Gary’s advice and bought a good Ethiopian coffee from Sunergos. (I visited the Location at the end of Speed Ave. it was real close to where I work.) The baristas were knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. The store smelled intoxicatingly good. The coffee I bought brewed up rich and flavorful. Yeah it was pricey (at least for me) but the difference was well worth it. So now, after a change in brewing methods and coffee brands my habit has gone from 1 (usually unfinished) cup a morning to a minimum of 4 cups (sometimes two pots on the week end.)
Thank goodness coffee isn’t fattening.

(NOTE: It wasn’t until after I bought my coffee that I checked out their Facebook page and saw that a couple years back they won a national award for the best espresso! I’d say that was pretty impressive for an independent, local roaster not anywhere near Washington state.)
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:56 pm

Just got around to trying Trader Joe’s beans . I was impressed by the cleanliness of the grinders (like sparkling clean) so they were without that rancid coffee smell. I bought a can of medium roast beans and ground them fine. Brewed it up in a 6 cup moka pot and was really pleased. Golly it was good coffee for being so inexpensive.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:59 pm

Good to know, Carla. I always get Italian Illy coffee from Lotsa Pasta, but if I ever decide to explore ...