Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

The Celtic Pig

no avatar
User

meghan.levins

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:30 pm

The Celtic Pig

by meghan.levins » Wed May 22, 2019 11:04 pm

We got to try them out now that they are in their brick and mortar in the Ice House building. A funky hybrid of Irish/Scottish/BBQ, limited menu right now (but still plenty of options).
Got to chat with one of the owners and we dished over cured salmon, soon to be on their charcuterie board and I can't wait. The bar manager, Kelly, was awesome. We hit it off talking shop, and I felt at home there right away.
Best mac and cheese I've had in Louisville since Lydia House closed, tried a bunch of things that were all tasty. The brisket on the Irish poutine was delicious, as was the Guinness gravy on top of amazing house cut steak fries. Overall it is just an awesome unpretentious pub that reminds me of home in the Boston area, taking food a wee bit more seriously than a bar but not fussy or unapproachable. (I say with no irony, knowing full well I helm the stern of a place the polar opposite even though I prefer places like the Celtic Pig for myself)
Go!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: The Celtic Pig

by Robin Garr » Thu May 23, 2019 9:38 am

meghan.levins wrote: Go!

Sold! :mrgreen:
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Thu May 23, 2019 1:51 pm

I tried the Irish poutine with pulled pork one day for lunch and was underwhelmed. The gravy was decent, but they use shredded cheese out of a bag instead of cheese curds, and the pulled pork didn't have much smoke flavor to speak of, at all.

May give them another chance and try some other stuff, but the first visit didn't make me love it.
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Thu May 23, 2019 2:30 pm

No thanks. I tried them when they were parked in front of 3rd Turn Brewing awhile back. Paid a ridiculous amount of money for a brisket grilled cheese that was the most pathetic thing you've ever seen.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu May 23, 2019 5:07 pm

I tried them when they had their truck at an event at Bernheim Forest. It was ...OK. I’m thinking maybe the problem was trying to skillfully put a product out from a mobile unit - some can, some can’t. Perhaps a bricks and mortar place with a real kitchen is the answer. I’m willing to give them another try.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

by Joni L » Thu May 23, 2019 7:16 pm

Hi guys,

My daughter's BF tried their food truck at Springfest this weekend and his brisket grilled cheese was good, not over the top but solid. The highlight were the sauerkraut balls. Absolutely delicious!

A side note, I chose All Thai'd Up's truck, and had the most amazing basil chicken - better than what I've had at Thai restaurants. I'll be looking for them to try something else!

Happy Memorial Day weekend!
Joni