Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Steak & Bourbon - not your old school steakhouse

by Deb Hall » Sun May 19, 2019 10:18 pm

To be honest, we visited the new Steak & Bourbon with a little hesitation as we are not “ steak house people”. Love a great steak, but when going out, we want our food have a lot of flavor and be more interesting than standard high-end steak house fare. But we soon found out: Steak and Bourbon is not anything like your standard steakhouse!

The atmosphere is upscale, but comfortable and not at all stuffy- they’ve done a beautiful job with the space. Service from our server, Sergio, was outstanding- attentive and friendly. So on to the food:
We didn’t need to be worried about the food being "standard steak house". While steaks are featured, the menu is quite creative and so are the appetizers and sides. The 3 of us ordered appetizers and shared them all: crab stuffed deviled eggs, the hand pies, and the crab cakes. All were great, but our hands-down favorite were the meat hand pies: great flaky crust and an incredible flavor on the meat filling. Looking at entrees, we were pleased to see the prices were reasonable in general and down-right a deal for high-quality steaks. Their aged Rib eye was in the low $30s and included a side ( a traditional steak house or high-end restaurant in town would far more); the cut and quality of the meat was outstanding, along with being perfectly prepared. For our other mains, we ordered the Seared Ahi and the mammoth-sized Cheese curd burger; both were very interesting combinations of flavors and large portions. The menu also includes a large selection of flavor-packed sides, and a very extensive bourbon list. We were so stuffed we had to pass when it came time for dessert, but we’ll definitely have to find room next time as the desserts we saw looked amazing.

Overall, a fantastic new addition to the East-End dining scene! Congratulations to the OLE group on what promises to be a hot new restaurant.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Steak & Bourbon - not your old school steakhouse

by Robin Garr » Mon May 20, 2019 8:09 am

Thanks for the report, Deb. I'm glad to hear S&B is a hit. That said, though, I'm going to miss Artesano, which was by far my favorite Ole Group eatery. :(
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Mon May 20, 2019 9:22 am

Sounds.....meaty.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon May 20, 2019 9:53 am

Robin,
It was bittersweet for us too- we are in the same boat as it was our go-to favorite.

So glad that my fears of a boring steak place were totally unfounded. There are only a couple of steaks ( 5?) on the menu; sauces are ordered separately so you can mix and match. The rest is very eclectic. Tons of creative flavors in everything we had. And as I told a vegetarian friend- there are vegetarian options plus a long list of interesting sides ( Garlic Broccolini, Raclette fingerling potatoes, etc) to be able to make a meal. And if you are meatless, the seared Ahi was very good and I thought a great portion for the price.
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Mon May 20, 2019 5:05 pm

I’m taking this with a grain of salt. Sorry Deb, but you’ve never met an Ole restaurant you haven’t been all in on.
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Mon May 20, 2019 6:32 pm

Im always surprised guaca mole doesnt get more love. Its one of my favorite mexican restaurants in the city and probably my favorite of the ole properties.

The short rib enfrijoladas, pozole, chicken tinga, duck flautas and their burritos in general spring to mind.

I too enjoyed artesano, but they had already begun to deemphasize tapas, so apparently the business model wasnt working

Im not a huge steakhouse guy, but may give s&b a shot. I do think that it is a wise business decision and could do quite well in the area
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon May 20, 2019 8:29 pm

I do really like the OLE restaurants. The food is very good and interesting combinations which is definitely our style of eating. And the price points in general are very good for the quality of food. And they are local.
Our all time favorite was The Place Downstairs ( and then Cena) but unfortunately the neighborhood wouldn’t support that level of food. I think Artesano had some of the same issues ( hence the move away from more tapas), so hopefully the new concept attract a wide range of customers from the East End.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon May 20, 2019 8:32 pm

Dan- I agree on Guacamole. And those Duck flautas are amazing: I’ve been known to go there after a really bad day and just order them and a wine ( or two? :wink: ) of wine. That’s my idea of comfort food. :D
Last edited by Deb Hall on Tue May 21, 2019 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon May 20, 2019 10:34 pm

Deb Hall wrote:... I think Artesano had some of the same issues ( hence the move away from more tapas), so hopefully the new concept attract a wide range of customers from the East End.

The only problem I have with that is that the Martinezes started Mojito, not much over a mile from Artesano, sold Mojito to friends who continue it with apparent great success. Artesano was pretty clearly Mojito 2.0, so it's hard to persuade me with the argument that the concept won't work in the 'burbs.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Tue May 21, 2019 9:19 am

With respect to Guacamole... we love the food. But it's always slow. It takes us two hours for a meal there. We still go from time to time, but it is an investment. :lol: