Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Steak & Bourbon opening Thursday in former Artesano

by Robin Garr » Mon May 13, 2019 9:55 am

Here's a link to the menu. Looks like a steak house, all right.
http://www.steak-bourbon.com/dinner-menu/

For more info see its Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/steakandbourbon/

Or the website:
http://www.steak-bourbon.com/
no avatar
User

JeffD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:04 pm

Louisville

Re: Steak & Bourbon opening Thursday in former Artesano

by JeffD » Tue May 14, 2019 10:43 am

It looks interesting and we will get it on our list.

I'm no expert on beef but it appears to me the steaks are Choice instead of Prime because there is no mention of Prime anywhere that I see. Plus, the pricing seems a little low for Prime but on the high side of Choice. If anyone could elaborate, it would be appreciated. Nothing against a good Choice cut prepared correctly, but I do like to know what I'm ordering.
Are you crazy? The fall will probably kill you. ..... Butch Cassidy
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Tue May 14, 2019 11:36 am

Could be since they are clearly buying whole primal pieces and hand cutting steaks that their source could not guarantee all prime pieces (which I completely understand). What may grade as prime is hard to distinguish from the exterior of the animal and even from the exterior of a whole tenderloin. It's also the case that even though 2 beef come from the same lot with similar genetics they may not both grade prime just based on physical differences and body composition. Prime vs choice is a subjective grading scale that may not be the way the purveyor and the restaurant have set up to work. Since they are gonna be butchering in house I would simply keep my menu free of any official qualifiers like Prime or Choice, and use that opportunity to grade on a case by case basis, and anything that did not meet my standard could easily be made into tartare or burger.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 14, 2019 11:38 am

Jeff, the menu indicates (in tiny print) that it's Certified Angus, aged 21 days. That's pretty good, but Certified Angus is complicated. Here's an article about it, with a little blurb about Certified Angus down near the end.
https://www.thespruceeats.com/what-to-k ... eef-333745

A couple of key points from that article:
Good quality Angus beef will be labeled with the logo "Certified Angus Beef," a brand created by the American Angus Association. This brand, established in 1978, requires the beef to pass 10 quality standards falling into three categories: marbling and maturity, consistent sizing, and quality appearance and tenderness. The cattle must also be Angus by more than just a 51 percent black definitio

In addition to the Angus beef qualification, the meat is also distinguished by grade. Certified Angus Beef (which is graded by the USDA) must be in the top two grades, and will either be listed as Prime or Choice. Choice grade Certified Angus Beef is generally of better quality than an average cut of choice beef.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Tue May 14, 2019 5:52 pm

I admit I don't have a refined palate like most posters here, but the mix of flavors in the baked sweet potato sounds hideous.

Stuffed with butter, sour cream, chives, crumbled bacon, maple syrup, and bruleed marshmallows

Bacon and syrup, gooood.
Syrup and marshmallows, gooood.
Those along with butter, sour cream, and chives? Grody to the max.
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Tue May 14, 2019 9:11 pm

Alanna H wrote:I admit I don't have a refined palate like most posters here, but the mix of flavors in the baked sweet potato sounds hideous.

Stuffed with butter, sour cream, chives, crumbled bacon, maple syrup, and bruleed marshmallows

Bacon and syrup, gooood.
Syrup and marshmallows, gooood.
Those along with butter, sour cream, and chives? Grody to the max.

We have eaten here twice, once at the pop up and tonight. I’m not a sweet potato guy but my wife loves them and she’s says this is the best version she has ever had. I’m a fan of the OLE crew and their work. I’m not unbiased but I feel this place is going to be a hit. The steaks are great and having amazing flavor. The mushroom side dish is my new favorite in the city. It’s that good. My 9 year old son was heartbroken when artesano closed. He wrote a review for it for school. Tonight he was all smiles and declared it is be favorite restaurant.
I think this place is going to be a home run. The price point is right, the food is fantastic, and the place looks great!!!