Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Good Tamales?

no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

Good Tamales?

by Joni L » Fri May 10, 2019 11:13 pm

I'm a sucker for a great tamale, but I haven't had any good ones in the Lou. I have to assume I'm not asking for them at the right places, so I thought I'd ask for recommendations. Does anyone know of a killer tamale in town?

Thanks!
Joni
no avatar
User

richard-p.kelting

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:13 pm

Re: Good Tamales?

by richard-p.kelting » Sun May 12, 2019 9:32 am

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon May 13, 2019 6:29 am

I’m only guessing (because it’s been awhile since I’ve been there) but El Mariachi would be a good place to try. Everything else there is very authentic.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon May 13, 2019 9:24 am

I just came here to say that. :)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon May 13, 2019 9:26 am

For what it's worth, I swooned in print over the Oaxacan-style tamale at La Lupita in Clarksville. It's a little different from the Mexican tamale, but worth a try:

After inhaling crisp chips and delicious house-made salsa, we loaded the table with both Oaxacan specialties – Tlacoyos ($3.25) and an Oaxacan chicken tamale ($2.75) – and more familiar Mexican goodies – a fantastic chiles relleños ($9.99) and a pair of tacos, one Mexican-style ($2.75) and one norteameriano ($3). It was all so good that I ate it all, failing in my usual abstemious practice of bringing some home in a box for lunch another day.

The tamale was amazing. Oaxacan tamales aren’t cylindrical but flat and rectangular, wrapped not in corn husks but big, green banana leaves that have been rubbed with oil to soften. Within was a thin layer of reddish-brown masa, colored and flavored with chile peppers, surrounding a big mound of shredded chicken mixed with an intensely savory dark mole sauce. The flavor was subtle and complex, spicy but not fiery, absolutely delicious.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Mon May 13, 2019 12:02 pm

Another vote for La Lupita. They have a couple of different styles, but I really like the Oaxacan style.