Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Galan’s Meat Market

no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

Galan’s Meat Market

by Iggy C » Thu May 09, 2019 1:26 pm

I just went to a meat market on the west side that a coworker told me about, saying they have a good smoked chicken salad sandwich. When I pulled up, they had a smoker going on the curb. I am always a sucker for random bbq, so I asked the guy what he was working on, and it was quite a sight. He showed me beef ribs, brisket, smoked wings, spare ribs, chicken quarters, hot links, and a whole uncut loin of pork chops, and all of them looked very promising. I did not get the smoked chicken salad sandwich, but instead wound up getting a gigantic beef rib for $5, and it was absolutely delicious. I will be back soon to try their Cuban sandwich or the brisket. They apparently have plans to expand into becoming more of a restaurant, but their facebook/instagram/website/yelp photos don’t seem to include any smoker photos, and I can’t find any pictures of the food menu, either, unfortunately. But prices were quite reasonable and the rib was great, so I’m already excited to go back. Definitely a nice, affordable lunch option for the area.

Galan’s Meat Market
2801 West Market Street
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

Re: Galan’s Meat Market

by neal.johnson » Thu May 09, 2019 3:26 pm

Why even have a website if all you are using is generic stock photography?
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Iggy C » Thu May 09, 2019 4:36 pm

[*]
neal.johnson wrote:Why even have a website if all you are using is generic stock photography?

Yeah, it’s not helpful. I’ll try to get some pictures.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 09, 2019 4:41 pm

They probably know more about cooking than they do about social media. I'm not going to judge them for that.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Thu May 09, 2019 8:57 pm

Just saw this tonight in a Louisville Magazine piece on 24 new restaurants in town (linked below). Several others I had not heard about.

https://www.louisville.com/content/24-new-restaurants-crave-louisville-magazine-food
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Fri May 10, 2019 1:36 pm

Jay M. wrote:Just saw this tonight in a Louisville Magazine piece on 24 new restaurants in town (linked below). Several others I had not heard about.

https://www.louisville.com/content/24-new-restaurants-crave-louisville-magazine-food

The Mexican pizza at La Bonita's looks amaze balls.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:26 am

Iggy C wrote: They apparently have plans to expand into becoming more of a restaurant

The restaurant is supposed to open tomorrow (Nov. 14). It's at 2300 W. Market St., several blocks from the meat market, which is at 2801 W. Market. I don't see a menu for the restaurant yet, but they're promising to post one on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/nobodybeatsourmeat/
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Iggy C » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:22 pm

Rich S wrote:
Iggy C wrote: They apparently have plans to expand into becoming more of a restaurant

The restaurant is supposed to open tomorrow (Nov. 14). It's at 2300 W. Market St., several blocks from the meat market, which is at 2801 W. Market. I don't see a menu for the restaurant yet, but they're promising to post one on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/nobodybeatsourmeat/

Hey, cool, thanks for bumping this, Rich! I’ll have to give the new place a try.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:58 pm

We stopped in here today for lunch. It's got very much a working-class neighborhood diner sort of feel. The menu is primarily Cuban with some Puerto Rican influence. Ample parking behind the building. They have a drive-thru as well. The Cuban sandwich is the best I've had outside of Valu Market. They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner with prices ranging from $3.99 to $15.99 for a weekend brunch buffet. The ample Cuban sandwich with fries was $6.99; the Friday lunch special of Arroz con Pollo with a side of sweet plantains was $7.99.

I have pictures of the menu but couldn't figure out how to upload them.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:18 pm

Richard S. wrote:I have pictures of the menu but couldn't figure out how to upload them.

Richard, here you go! Thanks for sending them along.

no avatar
User

meghan.levins

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:30 pm

by meghan.levins » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:52 pm

They post photos and specials regularly on the Portland neighborhood Facebook page. Killer breakfast too!