Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

We are Hooked on Frankfort

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 08, 2019 9:11 am

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

The Hooked on Frankfort fish plate features a 10-ounce cod fillet plus excellent spicy fries, cole slaw, a couple of hush puppies, and white or rye bread.

For many decades before the first pizza came to Louisville in the 1950s or the first real taquerias arrived in the 1990s, this town has had a love affair with seafood and fish.

It wasn’t long after the Civil War when Mazzoni’s started shipping fresh oysters up from the Gulf in railroad cars filled with ice; fried fish couldn’t have taken much longer in a city with a large Catholic population expected to consume fish on Fridays. Mike Linnig and his family were selling fish sandwiches out of their produce stand on Cane Run Road as early as the late 1920s; the first Kingfish restaurant greeted the dawn of the Baby Boom in 1948.

Nowadays there’s a source of fried fish just about everywhere you look, and the latest entry is a good one, too: Please say hello to Hooked on Frankfort.

Sister restaurant to Frankfort Avenue Beer Depot, Hooked is just two doors west, with Patrick’s bar in-between. Hooked has a different, brighter, less divey vibe than FABD. Large front windows bring in plenty of light; a giant sailfish and a wall-size mural that looks like a giant aquarium enliven the interior.

There’s fried cod and catfish, of course – any Louisville fish house has to have that – but there’s a wider variety of shellfish and finny fish than a lot of Louisville’s many fish eateries have to offer. And it’s as affordable as any, with a fried cod sandwich priced at $9.99 with chips, pickle, and white or rye bread included. A fried cod platter, generous with sides, is $13.99.

But that’s not all. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/hooked-frankfort

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Hooked on Frankfort
3200 Frankfort Ave.
690-9835
hookedonfrankfort.com
Facebook: bit.ly/HookedFrankfort

Noise level: We had no trouble hearing our tablemates, even with the room half full and country rock playing. (Average sound was 71dB, the level of normal conversation, with brief peaks to 82dB, the sound level of loud singing.)

Accessibility: The entrance and restrooms appear to be accessible to unassisted wheelchair users, but the restroom doors are unusually heavy.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Re: We are Hooked on Frankfort

by Andrew Mellman » Wed May 08, 2019 10:56 am

Three additional comments:

While I agree about the mild nature of the coating, we were given three squeeze bottles: a rather bland tarter sauce (that seemed more like straight mayo with a slight added flavor), a spicy tarter sauce that upped the ante quite a bit, and a cocktail sauce that I used on everything. The frog legs came with a fourth sauce, that tasted like a blend of hot sauce (I think sriracha) mixed with mayo. In other words, if you only get the mild version and want more ask!

Also, they have some of the best frog legs around; small legs, but at least five pairs and cooked perfectly!

Finally, the hush puppies deserve a comment: there were actual pieces of corn in the hush puppies, ranking them among the top of that genre. I was full and did not want them, but took a small bite just to try one of the two, and ended up finishing them.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Wed May 08, 2019 11:43 am

No Robin Garr rating?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 08, 2019 1:10 pm

neal.johnson wrote:No Robin Garr rating?

I'll fill that in. Still looking at a final conclusion. It's decent, though.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 08, 2019 1:13 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:we were given three squeeze bottles: a rather bland tarter sauce (that seemed more like straight mayo with a slight added flavor), a spicy tarter sauce that upped the ante quite a bit, and a cocktail sauce that I used on everything. The frog legs came with a fourth sauce, that tasted like a blend of hot sauce (I think sriracha) mixed with mayo. In other words, if you only get the mild version and want more ask!

Well, I'll be ding-danged! We got no sauces, actually, and just as Mary was getting ready to ask, we saw the server running out with one (1) squeeze bottle of rather bland tartar sauce. This is not a complaint about service - she did a great job in every other way - but there's sure something funny going on there!

Well, the "petal sauce" that came with the mushrooms was good, mostly horseradish and hot sauce in a creamy base. Do you think that's what you got with the frog legs?
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed May 08, 2019 5:03 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Well, the "petal sauce" that came with the mushrooms was good, mostly horseradish and hot sauce in a creamy base. Do you think that's what you got with the frog legs?

Quite likely! It had a sriracha-like burn and was pink-ish, but very well could have been a horseradish/hot blend. My taste buds are not what they were a dozen or so years ago . . .
Andrew Mellman