Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: This just in from the Ole Group

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:34 pm

Good reporting, Mark! Now, the follow-up question: Will Steak & Bourbon be an Ole property, or did they quietly sell, as with Mussel & Burger Bar?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:40 pm

Aha. Further tinkering with OpenTable reveals that Saturday, April 27, is the last day you can get a reservation at Artesano, while Wednesday, April 1, is the first day you can get a reservation at Steak & Bourbon.

I'm going to miss Artesano. I doubt that I'll be as likely to dine at a suburban steakhouse. :(
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:10 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Good reporting, Mark! Now, the follow-up question: Will Steak & Bourbon be an Ole property, or did they quietly sell, as with Mussel & Burger Bar?

Good Question but since the initial release for the "pop-up" restaurant was from the "ole group" I'm guessing it will be there restaurant. I'm guessing that Fernando wants to keep at least one higher end restaurant in the group.49
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:58 pm

Confirmation from Artesano’s Facebook page.

Closing after Saturday. Reopening as a steak joint.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:21 pm

JustinHammond wrote:Confirmation from Artesano’s Facebook page.

I still don't get it, but maybe it's just me, because Artesano was the one Ole property that I really liked. :(

I wonder if they are keeping the same staff.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:27 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

I still don't get it, but maybe it's just me, because Artesano was the one Ole property that I really liked. :(

That's my thought exactly. We have lots of good steak restaurants in town but Artesano was different. I know many people who really preferred it over anything else run by Ole and went there quite often.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:22 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I still don't get it, but maybe it's just me, because Artesano was the one Ole property that I really liked. :(

The official explanation, via the Courier Journal:

Artesano opened at 1321 Herr Lane about four years ago, Fernando Martinez said. And while it had its regulars, it didn't perform like the Olé Restaurant Group's other properties.
"We think it's a good location, but we feel like Steak & Bourbon is a better fit for that location," Martinez said. "The concept has a bigger appeal to a bigger market."
Employees at Artesano will be asked to stay on at Steak & Bourbon, led by executive chef Jason Smith.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/e ... 587765002/
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:26 pm

Ole group use to be inventive (mostly). But steak and bourbon. Yawn. This won't last.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:10 pm

Wasn’t this the arc Seviche followed after opening their East location on Goose Creek Road (circa 2008)?: started off offering items similar to their Highlands location, then went to “steak joint” in attempt to appeal to perceived preferences in the area, then closed - all in the course of a year. Wishing Olé Group better fortunes.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:45 am

Jay M. wrote:Wasn’t this the arc Seviche followed after opening their East location on Goose Creek Road (circa 2008)?: started off offering items similar to their Highlands location, then went to “steak joint” in attempt to appeal to perceived preferences in the area, then closed - all in the course of a year. Wishing Olé Group better fortunes.

I didn't even remember the steak joint passage, but I knew the East End Seviche was doomed when I sat in there at lunchtime and heard my neighbors complaining about what a weird Mexican restaurant it was. :(
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:14 pm

Robin Garr wrote: I sat in there at lunchtime and heard my neighbors complaining about what a weird Mexican restaurant it was. :(

1. Robin, it was 5:45am when you posted . . . aren't you allowed to rest one morning?

2. The first time we went to Guaca Mole, when they first opened, a table of good-ole-boys at the next table asked the waitress, "well then, whacha got that's closest to a burrito?"
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:17 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:1. Robin, it was 5:45am when you posted . . . aren't you allowed to rest one morning?

Hmm ... I don't think I was up quite that early any time recently, Andrew! Now you've got me checking to see if the forum time stamp is correct. I'm posting this at 5:16 p.m. ...
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:18 pm

Okay, correct time for me, but are you an hour off? The forum software doesn't support automatic changes for summer and winter time, you have to go to the UCP (User Control Panel) icon to do it manually.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:53 am

Andrew Mellman wrote:The first time we went to Guaca Mole, when they first opened, a table of good-ole-boys at the next table asked the waitress, "well then, whacha got that's closest to a burrito?"

Well, at least give those GOBs some credit for trying someplace new and different instead of simply reverting back to their comfort zone. :)
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Michele Janosek

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Douglass Hills

by Michele Janosek » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:53 pm

Very disappointing news. We always felt Artesano was special and unique. Not especially excited about another S&B place, so it won't likely be in our rotation.
PreviousNext