Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

Re: Louisville Cafe India brings Indian delights

by Jerry C » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:18 pm

Curry dishes aren't Indian. Also, Indian restaurants serve a ton more than just curry. Also, you probably should have kept that couch story to yourself.

I did not say that curry dishes were Indian. I just know that many Indian dishes have curry in them.

The one question in my post was "what do they serve that does not have curry"...no one has given an answer.

I thought the couch story was an appropriate way of conveying how the smell of curry affects my family. You didn't?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:56 am

Jerry C wrote:The one question in my post was "what do they serve that does not have curry"...no one has given an answer.

Jerry, if you'd really like to discover Indian dishes you like, you might try talking with the server at a friendly local Indian place and ask them to describe the dishes to you. One problem, though, is what you mean by "curry." Indian dishes in general are full of aromatic flavors that aren't familiar to Westerners. Many people refer to them all as curry, while others limit "curry" to one specific seasoning. If you're willing to give it a try, though, some popular dishes that might change your attitude are chicken tikka masala (ask for it mild) or saag paneer, a spinach and cheese dish.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Buechel

by Jerry C » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:42 am

Robin, is there a suggestion on which Indian restaurant to try the chicken dish?
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:57 am

This is another example of why I really like these boards- everyone is so diverse! But I think when it comes to eating (especially spicy or well seasoned dishes) there is a great deal more at play then how it tastes. Taste buds are not factory issued so everyone’s are different. Memory plays a huge part in what we eat via comfort foods. But even beyond that there are the responses/signals from our brains that are triggered by flavors and spices. So yeah, different people will experience the exact same dish in various ways for a variety of reasons.
Check out this article- https://brainworldmagazine.com/kicking- ... ick-brain/

Really?! Sichuan peppers muddle our senses between between “burn” and “touch”!
Hmmm.....would that make some Chinese dinners more romantic than others?

(Shrugging) Curry turns off some but fresh curry makes me swoon while stale curry revolts me.
Go figure.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:17 am

Jerry C wrote:Robin, is there a suggestion on which Indian restaurant to try the chicken dish?

Jerry, maybe Tikka House in Chenoweth Square? Or Taj Palace on Goose Creek near Westport? I've found the servers there very friendly and helpful.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:42 pm

Jerry C wrote:Robin, is there a suggestion on which Indian restaurant to try the chicken dish?

I know I'm not "Robin," but another suggestion (that worked for us) is to start with unsauced dishes.

Our first time trying Indian food was at Gaylord's in Chicago maybe 40 years ago; we ended up at McDonald's for dinner the Indian food tasted so bad! We tried again around 20 years ago with tandoori chicken and a tandoori seafood dish (either fish or shrimp, I forget). They were relatively plain, with a spice overlay that was more "exotic" than the Chinese and Vietnamese food we liked, but more to our palate.

We then went to Chinese curries; we found them much more "tame" (maybe moderate? maybe sweet?) than the Indian, and developed a taste for them. Finally we went to a high-rated Indian buffet, and suddenly found we really loved much of the food, ranging from the tandoori dishes to various sauces to some (albeit not all) of the curries. We also went to Dak Shin, and while we still find the place dark, dingy, and uninviting, by ordering from different sections of the menu (representing different Indian food regions) we found some more to our liking than others.

DK if it might work for you, but that's how we developed a taste and appreciation for the range of Indian cooking.
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:03 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote: tandoori chicken

That's a great idea for jerry, Andrew! So is the rest of your post, but I wanted to highlight that. No "curry" taste at all!
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Buechel

by Jerry C » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:26 pm

Thank you Robin, thank you Andrew.
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:57 am

Jerry, don't discount the appetizers on your quest while you are trying the tandoor items. The pakora/pakoda, battered deep fried vegetables, are delicious. Do you like a blooming onion at the steakhouse? You'll like the onion pakora. Naan and Roti breads are very approachable and easy to enjoy. Maybe try a dosa, no filling at first, then try one with the potato (aloo). It's a big, very thin, savory pancake rolled up like a giant taquito, slightly crunchy and mild in flavor. There's a lot to try that isn't in your face CURRY. That said, it's 8 in the morning and I am now craving Indian food.
Previous