Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Swai at Havana Rumba

no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

Swai at Havana Rumba

by Linda C » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:21 am

One of my absolutely go to places, service and food are consistently delicious. However, the only fish they serve is Swai, which has a horrible reputation. It is usually farmed in Vietnam and is high in mercury, antibiotics and other chemicals. It has frequently failed safety tests. I wrote to them before, never got a response. Is getting unsafe cheap fish a good practice?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Swai at Havana Rumba

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:26 am

Interesting question, Linda. Apparently the lack of health controls over Southeast Asian seafood production in general is a huge problem for mercury and other contaminants. (Tip: Don't buy cheap shrimp, which almost certainly comes from that region.)

I don't know how common swai is in the marketplace, but health and quality are also an issue with tilapia and Atlantic salmon, which are almost 100 percent farmed and bring quality issues, if not health issues, to the table. Sadly, seafood and fish seem like one area where it's easy for restaurateurs to cut corners.

That's one of the things I love about Seviche, where Anthony Lamas is very serious about sustainability and quality in seafood and fish.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:59 pm

"That's one of the things I love about Seviche, where Anthony Lamas is very serious about sustainability and quality in seafood and fish."

Put Volare and Josh Moore on that short list. His Friday fish specials rock!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:52 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:Put Volare and Josh Moore on that short list. His Friday fish specials rock!

Noted! Not to mention his weekly "Josh holds up big fish" photos!
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:34 pm

Interesting - I just checked, and the Monterey Aquarium app used to only list and recommend based on sustainability, but now also goes into safety and farming methods! If you are concerned, you may want to download the app (it's free).

Just for info, Red Lobster sources all its seafood based on Monterey lists, so price isn't necessarily the only (or even always a good) basis; use the app!.
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:50 pm

Great advice, Andrew! Here's a link to the Monterey Seafood app page, with links onward to both iOS and Android versions:
https://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-re ... ns/our-app