Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Closed Restaurant

User

TimT

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 10, 2011 4:43 pm

West of the Mississippi

Closed Restaurant

by TimT » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:54 pm

Can anyone help me remember the name of a meat-centric Argentinian (I think) restaurant on Bardstown road that closed maybe 5 years ago? I believe the owners retired. I loved their entire menu, and they served the best flan I have ever tasted. In a perfect world I could track down their recipe for that.

Thanks to anyone that could help.
"I dined at my favorite restaurant last night. It was like Heaven, only better. They let me in".
User

TimT

{ RANK }

Foodie

West of the Mississippi

Re: Closed Restaurant

by TimT » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:27 pm

I remembered. Palermo Vieho.

Now who has that recipe?
"I dined at my favorite restaurant last night. It was like Heaven, only better. They let me in".
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:19 am

We constantly lament Palermo’s closing. I wish the owners the best, but we sure miss their great food.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:38 am

Robin F. wrote:We constantly lament Palermo’s closing. I wish the owners the best, but we sure miss their great food.
+1
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:03 am

Oh man do I miss PV. Probably more than any other lamented establishment in the neighborhood. Their parillada with sweatbreads, with a side of their chimichurri soaked fries, topped off with either the flan or the incredible homemade banana ice cream. And all at a ridiculously affordable price point. Pure gastrobliss...
User

TimT

{ RANK }

Foodie

West of the Mississippi

by TimT » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:39 am

Robin, do you have any contacts that might have his contact. I'm jonesin' for Flan with his Dolce de Leche sauce. It was unlike any other I have ever tasted. I believe the owner's name was Frank Erbl
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:09 am

I'm Facebook friends with Federico Elbl, who ran PV with his brother. I'll reach out to him and see what he's got.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:56 pm

Robin F. wrote:We constantly lament Palermo’s closing. I wish the owners the best, but we sure miss their great food.

As do I.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Jeremy Coker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:09 am

by Jeremy Coker » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:42 pm

Just joining the chorus of those that miss Palermo. It was my family's go to place for years we discuss missing it every time we have the "where should we eat tonight" conversation. It was such a welcoming spot and the food was always great.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:30 pm

From an old WDRB posting:

Palermo Viejo, an Argentine restaurant on Bardstown Road in the Highlands, is closing on Feb. 21 after 14 years, owner Francisco Elbl posted Tuesday on the restaurant's Facebook page.

Elbl wrote:

I wanted to thank the Louisville community for the opportunity to share my family's food for the last 14 years. There are certain reasons why I am closing. But the most important is my family has sacrificed so that I can live my dream. I have come to a point where I feel they have sacrificed enough. I want to thank our guests, and our regulars who have since become our friends. I would also like to thank my employees who have become my family.

When asked about what I will do next, I plan to look into leasing the property. And I'm looking into bottling my father's famous Chimmi-Churri recipe.

I am so proud to live in such a wonderful and accepting city as Louisville.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:06 pm

We lived in the white house right next to PV and mourned when they closed. I have not forgotten his comment about bottling the chimichurri sauce. We've never had any as good and have wondered what it would cost to get him to share the recipe. My 19 year old son brings it up frequently.