Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

Re: Any Pizza in Louisville?

by Jerry C » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:29 am

Iroquois Pizza is solid.
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:14 pm

Iroquois
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:20 pm

Thanks to you both! Looks like Derby City is a three-unit South End chain, not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:57 pm

Another vote for Iroquois. Their pizza and service are excellent. I'd stick to their pizza, though.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:58 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Thanks to you both! Looks like Derby City is a three-unit South End chain, not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that.

Actually, one of the Derby City locations is at 2500 Crittenden Dr. on the east side of I-65 across from the football and soccer stadiums. That was the former PRP Pizza.
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:04 pm

I think of Crittenden Drive as South End, though, James, don't you? Pretty much everything west of the airport and Papa John's and south of maybe Winkler?
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:21 pm

Its all relative, Robin. I'm coming from the south so anything in that direction is north of south.
Anyway, the point is that that particular location is relatively accessible for many on this forum who may want to try their pizza. Based on the comments on Iroquois Pizza, I'll make my way out that way to check them out sometime soon.
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:58 am

James Natsis wrote:Its all relative, Robin. I'm coming from the south so anything in that direction is north of south.
Anyway, the point is that that particular location is relatively accessible for many on this forum who may want to try their pizza. Based on the comments on Iroquois Pizza, I'll make my way out that way to check them out sometime soon.

Fair enough, James! I want to try Iroquois Pizza in particular. As for the neighborhood boundaries, I guess I'm just showing my age ... back in the day, "South End" meant Churchill to Iroquois, and East End meant Highlands and Crescent Hill. We didn't know anybody lived out in the county, :twisted:
no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

by Tony G » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:12 pm

We routinely get Iroquois Pizza since we live a mile or two away. I will warn you they are slammed as soon as they open. Now we get it delivered because it's often difficult to get in and get a table. We order The Bigga. Very good pie!
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:51 pm

Michele Janosek wrote:Thanks for the Mimo's info Andrew!!! I had never heard of the place, but based on their menu, hubby, the mini-me & I are heading across the river this weekend to check it out. Mike has been in desperate search of shrimp parmigiana in this area for years and mentioned that to Chris, our awesome server at Ciao on Friday. Chris said we could ask for this next time we are at Ciao and they would happily make it, but hubby hates to be "that guy" asking for off-the-menu items. He was beyond thrilled to see shrimp parm on the Mimo's menu. Hoping to add another NY style place to our rotation.

Did you make it there? If so, is it "real" New York or just in my imagination?
Andrew Mellman
User

Michele Janosek

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Douglass Hills

by Michele Janosek » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:52 pm

Thanks again Andrew for the suggestion! We made the trek across the bridge and it was well worth the trip!!! It is up on a hill in a nondescript strip mall, so we weren't sure what to expect. As soon as we walked in, it smelled like back home. Inside it is a cute place with two small dining rooms and a window view of the kitchen. Requisite photos of the Coliseum and Italian music playing were nice touches.

Complimentary garlic knots with marinara sauce was a nice start to our visit. Mike and I split a HUGE rice ball (a little smaller than a softball) which was served split open an covered in marinara and mozzarella. Our daughter loves meatball pizza and we like ours with sausage, so we went for 1/2 and 1/2. Pizza came out with perfect char, legit fennel in the sausage and damn good meatballs! The sausage was served thinly sliced in long strips, which is what we prefer to crumbles or round pepperoni-like slices.

Mike had the shrimp parm and I had the eggplant parm. Both were really good! He had six nice sized shrimp, generously covered with marinara and mozzarella, served over spaghetti. My eggplant was layered beautifully, with flavorful breading and most importantly, was not greasy. My side salad was crisp and fresh, with a tangy house dressing.

The portions were generous enough for us to have leftovers and the pizza heated up beautifully the next day. We will definitely go back, as we want to try the chicken parm, Sicilian pizza and some of the specialty pasta dishes.
Attachments
shrimp parm.jpg
shrimp parm.jpg (53.39 KiB) Viewed 5256 times
Mimos pizza.jpg
Mimos pizza.jpg (62.49 KiB) Viewed 5256 times
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:07 pm

Michelle:

Glad you liked it! We felt the same.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:25 pm

I appreciate all the feedback. THe advice should be very useful in helping me to get fatter. Iroquois and mimos are on my list, despite being outside of my normal pizza radius
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:27 am

Although I do love them, sometimes I want a break from The Post, Coal’s, Lupo’s, et al.. When that happens, I go to Rich-O’s Public House/Sportstime in New Albany. Their upside down pizza is novel and excellent, especially when you select sundried tomatoes, Italian sausage and a double order of roasted garlic among your toppings. Also, the beer selection is hard to beat for a pizza joint.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:37 pm

Jay M. wrote:Has Impellizeri’s reopened? They had the dreaded “Closed for renovations. Reopening XX” sign with brown paper covering the windows.

Answering my own question, yes, it appears they have reopened.
PreviousNext