Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

Any Pizza in Louisville?

by Dan E » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:29 pm

It seems nobody ever notices, but Louisville has an abundance of pizza. When presented to me, I’ll eat pretty much any pizza, but am particular when I’m calling the shots. Even with all these options, I’ve found that I almost always choose between my two personal favorites, Coal’s and Butchertown Pizza Hall which present two distinctly different styles.

I still thoroughly enjoy these two options and will certainly continue to patronize both establishments, but I just wanted to check and see if there is any other pizza I need to check out, particularly ny style.

I’ve also had excellent pizza at bar vetti and do usually grab whatever red hog has on their menu as an app when dining there.

What are some of your favorites?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Any Pizza in Louisville?

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:50 pm

Good question. I'll concur in both your choices, but definitely add MozzaPi. It's way the hell out the other side of Anchorage, and it's open only for breakfast and lunch (pizza during the lunch hour), but it's wood-fired and made with flour from grain that they mill on premises. Not to be missed. The Post is good too.

In the realm of eateries that also have excellent pizza, I'll concur as well with bar Vetti and Red Hog, and add also Caffe Classico and Lupo.

There's tons more, and of course we haven't even talked about the vast realm of "Louisville-style" piled-high pizza, but the above are some of my go-tos.
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:58 pm

Im no NYC style expert, so I can't speak to authenticity, but I do enjoy Old School New York Style Pizza of LaGrange Rd. Good pizza and their lunch special of 2 slices and a drink is a deal! With that said, Coal's is still my favorite!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:08 pm

Kris Billiter wrote:Im no NYC style expert, so I can't speak to authenticity, but I do enjoy Old School New York Style Pizza of LaGrange Rd. Good pizza and their lunch special of 2 slices and a drink is a deal! With that said, Coal's is still my favorite!

I agree. Old School NY is really good - run by a couple of Italian guys from Brooklyn! I like it a lot, but it's awfully far out for me, so I don't get out there much.

FYI, the pizza slice and checked tablecloth image on the HotBytes Facebook page are from Old School NY. :)
https://www.facebook.com/LouisvilleHotBytes/
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:23 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Good question. I'll concur in both your choices, but definitely add MozzaPi. It's way the hell out the other side of Anchorage, and it's open only for breakfast and lunch (pizza during the lunch hour), but it's wood-fired and made with flour from grain that they mill on premises. Not to be missed. The Post is good too.

In the realm of eateries that also have excellent pizza, I'll concur as well with bar Vetti and Red Hog, and add also Caffe Classico and Lupo.

There's tons more, and of course we haven't even talked about the vast realm of "Louisville-style" piled-high pizza, but the above are some of my go-tos.

I forgot about classico. Im a big fan of the eggplant parm pizza, add prosciutto. Ill have to add mozza pi to the list.

I like the post but dont love their crust.

Since both of you recommend old school, i may have to check them out, though i rarely find myself out that way.

In addition to a large ny style pie w foldable slices, im also interested in finding a good classic thin crackery crust, something almost like a papa johns thin crust, only not shitty.
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:01 am

We really like the pizza at the bar at Volare. Similar to Coal’s but not coal oven. It used to be on the big green egg, but I think they’ve got a pizza oven now and it’s even better. Just a few options, but yummy.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:29 am

For "craft" pizza

MOZZAPI
COALS
RED HOG
GARAGE BAR
GRASSA GRAMMA

For "greasy slice" pizza

BUTCHERTOWN PIZZA
THE POST
DIORIO'S
LUIGI'S
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Joshua R

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:56 pm

by Joshua R » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:49 am

I'm very particular to NY Style myself. Here's what I've found that match up to that style:

Butchertown Pizza Hall
The Post
North End Slice (closing up shop on 2/24 - better hurry!)
Frascelli's
Old School NY Pizza
Boombozz (Only Tony's Big Pie - and that's been hit or miss on the style)
Diorio's (though it has a little more cheese than a true NY, it's still really good)
Luigi's (very expensive)
Spinelli's (again, very hit or miss on quality of the pizza - really good or really bad)
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:03 am

While good, I've never found Papalinos/Butchertown to be like the NYC Style I crave. Thicker/crunchier/breadier crust that's far from being easily foldable in my experience. Feel like most people automatically take any huge round pizza w/ oversized slices and deem it NYC style.

North End Slice, to me, was the best rendition in Louisville of the 'street slices' I seek out on my 3-4 annual trips to NYC. Really sad to see it go, and hope it pops back up.
User

Daniel Raines

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:21 pm

by Daniel Raines » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:13 pm

My favs are:

Coal's
Butchertown Pizza Hall
Old School NY
DiOrio's
The Post

My next to try will be MozzaPi
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:38 pm

I know it's a ch-ch-ch-ain, but Blaze is another "craft pizza" type of place. I really enjoy it-- and you can't beat the price for all the toppings you can get on it!

I'll have to get an eggplant parm pizza from Cafe Classico soon-- haven't had one in a long time!
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:39 pm

Since Clifton's up and abandoned me (I take it personally), Danny Mac's is about the best pizza left on my "go to" list. But I don't go out for the swankier pizza places as much as some. I probably should.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:22 pm

RonnieD wrote:Since Clifton's up and abandoned me (I take it personally), Danny Mac's is about the best pizza left on my "go to" list. But I don't go out for the swankier pizza places as much as some. I probably should.

Just wondering Ronnie, what you consider a Swanky pizza place in Louisville? I've been to some in other cities but I don't really think Louisville have any that I would put in that category.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Michele Janosek

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Douglass Hills

by Michele Janosek » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:47 am

Hubby and I had the Shrimp Scampi pizza at Ciao on Friday night and it was pretty awesome! There are several craft pies that we need to try there and are definitely adding them into our pizza rotation. When we need a touch of home (Queens, NY) we hit Old School or The Post.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:43 pm

Mark R. wrote:
RonnieD wrote:Since Clifton's up and abandoned me (I take it personally), Danny Mac's is about the best pizza left on my "go to" list. But I don't go out for the swankier pizza places as much as some. I probably should.

Just wondering Ronnie, what you consider a Swanky pizza place in Louisville? I've been to some in other cities but I don't really think Louisville have any that I would put in that category.

Good call. I'm thinking Coals, etc. when I say "swanky." Places with "artisanal" (whatever that means) toppings or some fancy way of baking the pizza (we only bake ours on a sun-warmed turtle's back, etc.). I realize that this probably isn't very fair to a LOT of places that are probably just making really solid pie, it's much more about my screwy perceptions about places than maybe what they are actually doing. When I think "non-swanky" pizza, I think about Cliftons, Danny Mac's, Za's, Impellizzeri's, etc.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
Next