Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

El Vaquero- Fern Creek

no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

El Vaquero- Fern Creek

by MarieP » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:44 am

I stopped by Hungry Pelican for dinner last night, but they were rather busy (or else short-staffed), so I went next door and tried out the new Mexican place, El Vaquero (where Smokehouse BBQ used to be). I was impressed! The meal began with the standard plentiful pile of warm tortilla chips. The salsa, though hotter than some may like, was fresh and chunky-- I ate the whole bottle! I chose the shrimp enchiladas for a very reasonable $12, five or six corn tortillas stuffed with shrimp covered with red sauce, queso, and a generous topping of lettuce, tomatoes, and sour cream. No beans or rice included, though I didn't really need it. The shrimp was tender and very nicely seasoned, and the tortillas were flavorful without being overbearing. The service was amiable and efficient. I would definitely return!
Last edited by MarieP on Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

Re: El Vaquero- Fern Creek

by Jerry C » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:15 am

Where is this Kingfish?? Now, if you meant Hungry Pelican, I know of where you speak.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:20 am

Jerry C wrote:Where is this Kingfish?? Now, if you meant Hungry Pelican, I know of where you speak.

That is the place next to Hungry Pelican.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:33 pm

Mea culpa! Yes, Hungry Pelican! How’d that happen? I fixed it.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:36 pm

I just saw online that they closed some months ago. Hate to see that they did (though now I will have to try Ole Frijole!) I wonder what will replace it?
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

by Terri Beam » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:23 pm

If I remember correctly, they took a pretty hard hit at their last health department review. It may have been a coincidence, but they closed shortly after that review.