Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Three locals earn fourth AAA diamond. Guess who?

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:31 pm

English Grill, Vincenzo's, and Z's. :shock:

I guess AAA is interested in white-tablecloth dining with fawning service, but when I think about all the local restaurants that I would rate more highly, I have to wonder - again - why people rely on an automobile insurance company to review restaurants. ;)

American Automobile Association wrote:Louisville Restaurants Receive AAA’s Four Diamond Rating
Fewer than 3 percent of AAA Approved restaurants receive this prestigious rating

Three Louisville area restaurants have received the esteemed AAA Four Diamond Rating, according to AAA East Central. These establishments maintain their status this year on the exclusive list of restaurants to receive the coveted award.

“Four Diamond restaurants are sure-bets for anyone looking for personalized experiences, attentive service, and luxurious surroundings,” said Jim Lehman, president of AAA East Central. “For diners who want to be ‘wowed’, these restaurants are sure to deliver.”

Area restaurants receiving the AAA Four Diamond Rating include:

English Grill, 335 W Broadway, a Four Diamond restaurant since 1994.
Vincenzo’s Restaurant, 150 S. 5th St, a Four Diamond restaurant since 2007.
Z’s Oyster Bar & Steakhouse, 101 Whittington Pkwy, a Four Diamond restaurant since 2004.
AAA Four Diamond restaurants are an exclusive group, offering distinctive fine-dining experiences skillfully served amid upscale ambience. Only 2.1 percent of AAA Inspected & Approved restaurants – 656 in total across North America – made the Four Diamond list for 2018, including 39 new additions.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Three locals earn fourth AAA diamond. Guess who?

by Mark R. » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:41 pm

I'm glad to hear this but the choice of Vincenzo’s on that list really makes me wonder what kind of standards are used to determine who gets the award. At least in our opinion Vincenzo’s is at a significantly lower level than the other 2 mentioned.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:01 am

Looks like they're just phoning it in. While I admit I haven't been to the English Grill or Vincenzo's in several years, last time I went to Z's I thought it had noticeably declined. Plus, like others, I was not impressed the one and only time I went to Vincenzo's. Now, English Grill, that's a different story. Several years ago, my wife and I probably had our most impressive dining experience ever as far as Louisville goes. They could drop down a couple of pegs from there and still remain a top table IMHO.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:31 am

The tradition of automobile trade reviewing restaurants go back to Michelin in France. They created the guide to encourage the French to get in theirs cars and drive the country for destination restaurants, and in the process increase the frequency of needing new tires. :wink: