Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Yang Kee Noodle Highlands shop closed

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:34 pm

I can't say I'm terribly surprised. For some reason this branch just never seemed to ignite. A shame that they put that much money into redoing the old KFC, though. Is this going to be a "cursed" location?

News Release wrote:Yang Kee Noodle Closes Highlands Location

]Louisville based Yang Kee Noodle announced today that they have closed their Highlands location on Bardstown Road. “It was a great location and the neighbors were very supportive but, unfortunately, it just doesn’t fit into our new growth plan,” explained Louisville native Yang Kee Noodle founder Dan Huckestein. “We believe that the best path forward is to focus on other company priorities.” ...

Yang Kee Noodle restaurants are also located at the Oxmoor Mall in St. Matthews and at the Middletown Commons Shopping Center in Middletown.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Yang Kee Noodle Highlands shop closed

by RonnieD » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:40 pm

Based on my last 5 experiences at any location, they would be well served to drop back to the original only and work on getting the food back on track. Not surprised this location is the first to go, though.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:09 am

I fear that will be a difficult location for most anyone. It really doesn't blend well with the rest of the neighborhood. Plus, there are far too many better quality Asian/noodle places in the area for this particular type of operation to have ever gained a foothold. Their business model seems like a much better fit for a mall/shopping center type setting. KFC couldn't make it for similar reasons.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:11 am

I prefer the Middletown location to the original-- big servings, and the Pad Thai has a lot more chicken and tastes fresher.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:00 am

Wasn’t there a proposal to turn that triangle into a beer garden at some point? I wonder if anyone is still considering that.

Edit: this was the idea

https://insiderlouisville.com/economy/h ... fc-eleven/
Last edited by Iggy C on Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:19 pm

I see the location as being very favorable. There is optimal visibility, foot traffic, and decent parking.

As has already been noted in an earlier thread and currently, the food quality was just not there. I had experienced this in two earlier visits. That's ok for something like a Subway or a McDo that is relatively inexpensive and has constant promotions. I imagine Yang Kee will sustain their businesses in the two other locations that are more favorable to their type of product.

The good news is that the place is turn-key ready for a similar fast casual eatery. Perhaps we'll see a Chinese buffet, ice cream, or even a cafe bakery in that spot.

And finally, let's face it---Louisville has one cool dining strip in the Highlands that can hold its own in any conversation. The area just keeps getting better all along Bardstown and Baxter Rds. Its such a cool area to stroll on a nice day. Many of us take it for granted. But everytime I bring a guest to town and we cruise or walk along that area they are always impressed.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:02 pm

Oxmoor location just bit the dust as well. Now I have no reason to visit that mall.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:21 pm

neal.johnson wrote:Oxmoor location just bit the dust as well. Now I have no reason to visit that mall.

Whoa, I didn't see that coming. There's still one in Lexington, though, right? By which I mean the far East End?
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:54 am

They still have the one in Middletown. Might as well be Lexington to me.
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:06 pm

The story on the closing mall one is that the lease amount increased and they decided it wasn't worth it due to declining traffic. Having been to the mall recently, I'd believe it. They might consider sliding on over to the Shelbyville Road Plaza to get in on some of that Trader Joe's traffic.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:46 pm

I believe it. Oxmoor is an absolute wasteland. It's surreal how few people are wondering the halls. I think the Apple store (circus) is the only reason people walk in anymore.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:17 pm

Ron H wrote:The story on the closing mall one is that the lease amount increased and they decided it wasn't worth it due to declining traffic. Having been to the mall recently, I'd believe it. They might consider sliding on over to the Shelbyville Road Plaza to get in on some of that Trader Joe's traffic.

Declining traffic has less to do with mall rot as it does with YKN quality's sharp decline over the past several years. I would go to that mall specifically for YKN and YKN alone if it were as good as it was even 5 years ago...
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY