Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Whoa, North End Cafe closing Highlands shop

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:42 pm

Another Highlands closing, reported by WDRB-41. The pizza slice shop goes too, but the Frankfort Avenue shop stays open.

https://www.wdrb.com/news/north-end-caf ... px-pxvDwu8
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Whoa, North End Cafe closing Highlands shop

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:52 pm

On the other hand, this (from a North End news release) takes out some of the sting:

We ARE excited to announce that one of our long time employees (14 years!) Chef Jonathan,
will be taking over the location at 2116 Bardstown Road with a new concept. The last day of
the North End Highlands and Slice will be Sunday February 24th, 2019.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:39 pm

I saw the story about this in Business 1st a little while ago. There wasn't a whole lot of explanation there but it did mention the fact that they lost the lawsuit regarding employee overtime pay and have to pay out over $130,000 to the employees affected. The same story also mentioned that fact the long-term employee was going to take over the location. It will be interested see what kind of concept goes in there.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Michaelle W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:37 am

by Michaelle W » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:26 pm

With all due respect, Mark R., the North End Cafe has not lost it's lawsuit. I re-read the Business First article(s) and it says nothing about losing a lawsuit. The lawsuit was filed, The partners are fighting it and have not yet been to court. They believe they will be vindicated.
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

by Alexis Rich » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:26 pm

I think vindicated is an interesting choice of words. In a town where lots of folks have worked in the industry at some point, North End seems hosed either way. If the owners don't end up paying in the lawsuit, I think a lot of folks will identify with the servers and feel cheated too. If they do pay up, then folks will know they tried to cheat their staff and spend dinning out dollars other places. I think the suspicion that employees were cheated will linger for this place and FOH/BOH friendly folks would choose to spend their money elsewhere. Louisville diners have soft spots for generous chefs/restaurateurs and perceived greed (whether deserved or not) will most certainly alienate diners.
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:11 am

So were the employees paid or not? Like the poster above mentioned, Northend sounds pretty slimy when you mention you're fighting the lawsuit.