Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

Comfy Cow brings ice cream production back in house

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:03 pm

https://insiderlouisville.com/economy/s ... -in-house/

Local ice creamery and scoop shop chain The Comfy Cow has quietly taken steps during the past six months or more in an effort to return the business back to its former stature following some tumbles in 2017 and 2018.

“Comfy Cow invested in the community, and the community invested in Comfy Cow,” said Earl “Chip” Hamm, a local attorney and investor who assumed ownership this time last year.

That relationship changed starting in May 2017 when Comfy Cow’s then-owners, Tim and Roy Koons-McGee, issued an apology for ice cream shortages that lasted for weeks; some locations only had a few flavors on hand as the company struggled to juggle churning out enough ice cream for its shops and its grocery wholesale business.

The next blow came a few months later in August when the U.S. Food and Drug Administration required Comfy Cow to toss out large batches of its ice cream and deep clean its equipment because of concerns about an E. coli contamination, further setting the company’s production back. Shortly after, the business closed its own production facility and outsourced the ice cream making to an unnamed company.

After Hamm took ownership, he shuttered Comfy Cow’s New Albany scoop shop, and in September, the Jeffersonville location closed, but the month before, he’d made a significant reversal and brought ice cream production back in-house.

“We can be more imaginative, flexible, nibble,” Hamm told Insider last week, adding “everything’s gotten better.”
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Comfy Cow brings ice cream production back in house

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:47 pm

Interestingly, Chip told me all those things about six months ago, and I've been watching for it ever since. Maybe this means it's finally happening?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:52 pm

Also, just for the record, the company to which they outsourced production was no secret. They were open about it, and it was reported in the forum. It was these folks:

http://www.chocolateshoppeicecream.com/ ... leicecream
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:39 pm

Can I just say I love Comfy Cow?!! I hope things get turned around for them!
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:01 pm

Thanks, Christina. Me too! If for nothing else than the way they took over the Genny's Diner mess in Clifton and turned it into something nice.
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:16 pm

It's going to be hard for them to recover lost good will, I think. Louisville Cream is killing them anyway, as far as quality and flavor selection goes (and the price point is basically a wash).
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg