Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Amici satisfies with fine pasta and more

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:20 am

Amici satisfies with fine pasta and more

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Eggplant Parmesan gets a lighter treatment at Amici.

I love pasta in all its forms. Heck, I love it that there are so many forms. From skinny angel hair to broad pappardelle; long, short, or in-between, gimme. Pasta is my comfort food, and I’m delighted to report having achieved maximum pasta comfort at Amici Café in Old Louisville the other day.

Amici has been around since 2006, but went through a down period amid ownership changes and had fallen off my radar for years. But new owner Don Reinhardt, a longtime Pittsburgh restaurateur with roots in Southwestern Jefferson County, returned to town over a year ago to take over Amici. Its luster is restored. It's time to put it back on the to-go list.

Housed in an attractive 19th century building with its entrance through a courtyard on the side, Amici’s dining room still features a charming mural of an Italian village with stone buildings and shade trees. Old Italian family photos add to the nostalgic decor, with undraped black tables and sturdy wood-and-metal chairs to serve diners. A comfortable bar occupies a separate room at the front, and the patio offers comfortable al fresco dining in season.

The menu tilts toward family Italian, with many pasta dishes and tomato sauces of the Italian South. It also comes with a healthy dose of Reinhardt’s wit. Eggplant, it informs us, is “not an egg, but it’s a plant.” The white pizza, it adds, “is as white as a Donald Trump rally,” a snark so divine that it almost prompted me to order one. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/amici ... fine-pasta

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Amici Café
316 W. Ormsby Ave.
637-3167
amicilousville.com

Robin Garr's rating: 90 points

Noise level: Conversation was easy on a weeknight with fewer than half the tables filled, although occasional bursts of shouts and laughter from a neighboring table kicked it up briefly. (Average sound level 72dB, similar to normal conversation, with spikes to 85dB, the level of loud singing.)

Accessibility: No steps bar the entrance, but the pathway from the sidewalk through the front door is a bit bumpy and rough. The men’s room is spacious but lacks toilet grab bars.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Re: Amici satisfies with fine pasta and more

by Richard S. » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:10 pm

Just a note should anyone from Amici see this. The links to the lunch menu on the website just go back to the home page, and there is no link for the dinner menu. The link to the Facebook page is broken (they don't appear to have a Facebook page). Because of dietary restrictions I never go to a restaurant without having a look at the menu beforehand.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:28 pm

Yeah, they don't seem to have much interest in social media. :(

Are you on Facebook, Richard? I posted images of the menu in a reply there. Unfortunately, the image size limits on the forum would make it hard to post them legibly here.

Try this link, and if the post comes up, scroll down to the discussion with Mary Anne. You'll find the menu images there.
https://www.facebook.com/robin.garr/pos ... 4719373278
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:41 pm

Yes, I can see those. Thanks!
no avatar
User

BillB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:58 pm

by BillB » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:23 pm

I'm glad to hear Amici is back. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for that place with memories of dinners with my wife's family. Thanks for the review, Robin.