Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

Re: Intriguing, creative Ostra brings the flavor

by Alanna H » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:41 pm

I don't eat water bugs or land bugs. *blech*

I have a severe cricket phobia, so if that plate showed up at my table you would see me have an epic panic attack and meltdown. Dinner and a show!
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:50 pm

There was a fad for chocolate covered crickets and grasshoppers when I was growing up. My grandfather liked them a lot, so of course I managed to try them. Very crunchy.
Years later at outdoor food markets on China I tried an assortment of fried and stewed things. Meh.
I drew the line at huge slugs- I just couldn't.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:53 pm

Carla G wrote:I do eat shrimp and lobster. I eat beef but refuse to eat liver. For me - and I openly admit that there is no logical reasoning behind how I “feel”, I think my aversion relates to an association of bugs with dirt. (That’s why I don’t eat liver. Really? Eat the organ of an animal that filters out toxins? No thank you. ) But, I eat oysters and they are pretty much ocean filters as well.
(Shrugs) I guess until I see a need for me to eat bugs I’ll be happy to refrain.

You said this in 2009. Still laugh about it. :D

Liver in any form. Pate', foie gras no matter to me. I've tried all variations over the years and just can't stomach any of them. Why take the organ in the body that filters out all the crap then eat it? It's makes about as much sense as eating an oil filter.
Previous