Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Tacos surpass pizza as Taco City and Taco Choza arrive

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:56 am

Tacos surpass pizza as Taco City and Taco Choza arrive

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

A carnitas taco at Taco Choza.

Some time during recent months, pushed by the arrival of the excellent taquerias Taco City in the Highlands and Taco Choza in St. Matthews, the metro area quietly, without any publicity, achieved full taco.

What’s that, you ask? Simple. The numbers are a little vague, but by my best count, hungry Louisvillians now have at least 65 locally owned, independent places to buy tacos, surpassing the roughly 60-plus local pizzerias.

Given all the cranky jokes about this being a city with a pizzeria on every corner, this is no small achievement.

We tried both Taco Choza and Taco City this week, and I’m happy to report that both are worthy.

Taco City opened in mid-September in an old house that had formerly been quarters to a women’s clothing store. Its large front deck was not in use on this chilly winter day, but it was warm and welcoming inside. ...

A quick lunch at Taco Choza (which can be translated as Taco Shack or Taco Hut) revealed another fine taco stop, this one handily located amid the St. Matthews nightlife zone. Opened just one month ago, it fills the space left by the departure of Ville Taqueria, retaining the same chef under a new owner. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/taco-city-taco-choza

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Taco City Louisville
1283 Bardstown Road
409-9454
Facebook: http://bit.ly/TacoCityLou

Robin Garr's rating: 90 points

Noise level: The sound level was building up but manageable late on a Saturday afternoon with a soccer game on TV in the front room; we could converse easily at a table in the back. (Average sound level 74dB.)

Accessibility: This old Highlands house has been capably made accessible to wheelchair users with a ramp in front providing the primary access for all, and access modifications in the rest rooms.

Taco Choza
3922 Westport Road
409-5080
http://tacochozalouisville.com
http://bit.ly/TacoChoza

Robin Garr's rating: 87 points

Noise level: A moderate crowd kept up a happy buzz, but never interfered with conversation. (Average sound level 76dB, with peaks to 83.)

Accessibility: The entrance and restrooms pose no barriers to wheelchair users, but utensils and salsa dispensers might be difficult to reach.
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

Re: Tacos surpass pizza as Taco City and Taco Choza arrive

by Nathaniel C » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:14 pm

Thanks for the review, Robin. I actually tried Taco Choza the second day they were open and was a little disappointed with the tacos I ordered, as I thought the meat was kind of dry, however, your review prompted me to go there for lunch today with guests. It was much better this time around.

Let me first say, they now have a liquor license. I didn't look much at the beer selection. I got a margarita on the rocks, but they also had frozen, as well as sangria. It was very strong and flavorful and I actually think it's up there with Havana Rumba's Ultimate Margarita, which is high praise coming from me, since that's my favorite margarita in town.

We ordered chips and guac--one in our party didn't care for guac, so they also gave us some salsa. The guac was extremely good. The salsa was a little on the sweet side, but they have various hot sauces available, so you can make it have more of a kick if you want to. Careful with the habanero hot sauce, it's great, but it packs a real punch. I was even impressed with the chips.

Among our group, we had tacos and a burrito. The burrito was probably the best thing we ordered, and it's massive. Two people could easily dine on one burrito, probably even without ordering chips. The tacos were much better this time, as well, and they're generous with the meat. I ended up taking some of the chips and guac home, as we had more than we could eat. The service was friendly and fast, and it was reasonably priced. I'll definitely be back.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:58 pm

Thanks for the report, Nathaniel! Actually, I didn't mention it in the review, but we had gone earlier with results similar to yours. I am pretty sure that they opened without Ville's old chef, but then got him back, and the difference matters. I'm really glad they seem to be on an even keel now.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:58 pm

Popped in Taco Choza today for a couple of quick tacos to go. The owner greeted me and was working the counter. Great guy with a winning attitude. That alone would bring me back for a more thorough inspection of the menu, but wouldn't you know it, the tacos were really good too! I got a Taco Choza (steak and goodies) and a Al Pastor (pork/pineapple) and both were very good. They are also LOADED. You've got enough stuff there for two reasonably sized tacos easy and some forkable fall-outs as well. They offer 4 extremely tasty salsa to top your taco, but that's icing on the cake, the tacos stand fine on their own. Even so I recommend the jalapeño salsa, creamy and spicy and wonderful!

I'm excited to bring the family back and pig out on the rest of the menu! If you are kicking tires on this place, don't. Just get in there and get some good tacos!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:07 pm

Depressed over Bazos, I am on a mission to find a fish taco that I like as much. I’ve had lots, I think it’s the sauce I liked.i tried Taco City, Door Dash. I tried the fried fish and the grilled. Both seemed a little bland, had I been in the restaurant I would have asked for more sauce. However, the chicken mole taco was excellent and flavorful. The Queso was outstanding. No wonder the nachos get great reviews. And then....they have caramel filled churros!! Yummy. I’ll be back. Next stop, Choza.
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:00 am

Minor update - I ate there again last night, and I have to say I think the guac is the best I've ever had. Spicy and a hint of garlic to go with the onion. They had a decent crowd for a Monday night, which is really encouraging.