Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Chilakiles has delicious Mexican breakfast and more

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:26 am

Chilakiles has delicious Mexican breakfast and more

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Chilakiles’ pollo rostisado, roast chicken blanketed in gently spicy red-chile sauce.

A couple of weeks ago, I started getting glowing reports from friends and readers who urged me to check out a new little South End Mexican breakfast spot called Chilakiles.

But when I asked Google to search, Google fought back.

“Did you mean: chilaquiles?”

No! I said “Chilakiles,” and “Chilakiles” is what I meant.

Google didn’t believe me! I say “Chilakiles,” Google says “Chilaquiles.” Let’s call the whole thing off? Nope, can’t do that. It sounded too good.

So I persevered, and finally got through, discovering in the process that there are apparently only three restaurants in the world that spell chilaquiles with the funky K: A trendy eatery in Playa del Carmen on the Mayan Riviera; a street-food stand in Mexico City; and this sweet new eatery in a short strip of shops on National Turnpike, just a block or two out from South Side Drive.

Chilaquiles a.k.a. chilakiles are a classic Mexican breakfast treat, fried eggs perched on cut-up fried tortillas and topped with spicy salsas. Chilakiles, the restaurant, offers a breakfast-heavy menu too, although you’ll also find plenty of lunch and dinner options available throughout its service hours from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. There are speciality drinks including margaritas to wash them down, a mission that Chilakiles apparently inherits from its predecessor in the space, an all-day Latino bar called Margarita’s.

The room is quite large and striking in appearance, with bold red walls the hue of watermelon aqua fresca. Heavy wood tables painted glossy black are set with simple black and orange diner chairs, with a long bar stretching around a back corner.

The breakfast and brunch menu offers sixteen morning-friendly entrees, ranging in price from $7 (for egg-topped tortilla entomotadas or egg and black-bean enfrijoladas) to $15.50 (for spicy pepper-and-onion-topped steak Oaxaqueño, reflecting the owners’ roots in Oaxaca in Southern Mexico). ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/chila ... -breakfast

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Chilakiles Restaurant
5600 National Turnpike
632-2000
chilakilesrestaurantlouisville.com
facebook.com/chilakilesmexicanrestaurant

Robin Garr's rating: 85 points

Noise level: It was a quiet scene with few tables occupied during a late lunch; try it again on a busy weekend night and you may find it louder.. (Average sound level 65dB.)

Accessibility: The entrance is accessible to wheelchair users, but the men’s restroom is not equipped for disabled patrons, and the grab bars in the women’s room are placed too high to reach.
no avatar
User

meghan.levins

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:30 pm

Re: Chilakiles has delicious Mexican breakfast and more

by meghan.levins » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:34 am

Am I crazy, or should there just be a review series of every little place on Industry Blvd?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:03 am

meghan.levins wrote:Am I crazy, or should there just be a review series of every little place on Industry Blvd?

Umm, tell me more?
no avatar
User

meghan.levins

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:30 pm

by meghan.levins » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:50 pm

Well there is a cluster of different ethnic restaurants on that road, owing to the fact that there are probably enough employees of Sysco and other businesses down there to sustain at least a good lunch crowd. The Vietnamese place next door to Chilakiles is fantastic.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:11 pm

meghan.levins wrote:Well there is a cluster of different ethnic restaurants on that road, owing to the fact that there are probably enough employees of Sysco and other businesses down there to sustain at least a good lunch crowd. The Vietnamese place next door to Chilakiles is fantastic.

But ... but ... that's National Turnpike, isn't it? I'm confused about Industry Blvd.

I reviewed Cafe Thuy Van years ago, really liked it. Probably ought to do it again.
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:29 am

Finally had the opportunity to stop by for brunch /early lunch today with hubby. My husband is always somewhat fearful when I start the idea for lunch with " I heard about this place on Hotbytes..." and today was no different. You have to admit the little shopping center is not exactly inspiring even for National Turnpike, the place was empty at almost 11:30 am but we were welcomed by a very friendly young lady and were able to look over the menu. Hubby got his standard Huevos Rancheros and I ordered the Entomatadas .When they brought our plates my husband was expecting what he gets at most mexican places but his jaw dropped at this plate, it looked so much better than any other that he has ever had and he said it tasted like it as well. He was already talking about the next visit before he finished the meal and we both cleaned our plates. The bill was 18 dollars and change for the 2 egg dishes and 2 diet sodas I added 5 dollars for pleasant service.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:07 am

OK Bev, you hooked me with Entomatadas. I’ve become addicted to them at La Lupita, so I’m curious as to how these compare. Only one way to find out!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:21 am

Someday hubby will learn that he can trust your HotBytes buddies, Bev. :lol: I'm really glad you both enjoyed it.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:33 am

My wife and I visited yesterday and had an outstanding meal. Her chilakiles suizos was great. Perfect texture on the chips, with just the right crispiness remaining after being sauteed in the sauce. Similarly, the entomatadas were delicious. Different than the dish at La Lupita (perhaps mainly because of the huevos), but just as good. I added carnitas and the pork was fantastic. The steak at La Lupita really makes their dish, so next time I plan to try the steak here. We're both Con Huevos fans but this place gives them a run for their money. I'll need to try the tres leches pancakes to see how they compare.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:08 pm

I went this week. Nice to see the improvement in that strip center. I go to Thuy Van often, and over the last few years the building started to look a little worn. But, this place is a bright, clean and well-decorated addition. They do Oaxacan cuisine. Nice to have a change from the Puebla-region food that is the majority of our authentic restaurants. The food is good, the service is excellent. I had lunch, not breakfast items, but this place looks like it could give Con Huevos some competition. Recommended.
User

Jeffrey D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:49 am

Prospect

by Jeffrey D. » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:39 pm

Went today. Had the chilakiles suizos. Delicious. Lunch companions had the chicken enchiladas and were equally pleased. Competent and friendly service. Can't say enough good things about the food and people. Not very busy but it was crappy weather. Hope they do well there.
My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.