Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Shreeji brings street-style Indian fire and flavor

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:49 am

Shreeji brings street-style Indian fire and flavor

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Shreeji Indian’s masala dosa, more than a foot long and packed with spicy goodies.

Even if you think you know something about Indian food, the chances are that the first time you see the menu at Shreeji Indian Vegetarian Street Food, you’re going to be bewildered by a lot of names of dishes that you don’t recognize at all.

Only seasoned travelers or natives of the subcontinent are likely to be familiar with such deliciousness as vada pav, dabeli, methi gota, or bhel.

But here’s great news: It doesn’t matter. Not only will tge friendly people behind the counter explain it all for you, but even if you simply dive in and choose at random, you really can’t go wrong. It’s all delicious, bold, aromatic and colorful, so good that you won’t regret any choice you make.

Although a few of the city’s many Indian restaurants have offered us a taste of Indian street food, Shreeji is the first to focus entirely on this fascinating genre. Also known as chaat, from the Hindi word for “lick,” these intriguing and varied snack-size goodies may be crunchy, tangy, hot, or sweet, and sometimes all at the same time. \

And now we’ve got it, and it’s so good that I’m scanning the real-estate ads in search of new quarters within walking distance. Okay, not really, but it’s tempting.

Shreeji opened in mid-November in a shopping strip on busy Hurstbourne Parkway. Modern and bright, its golden-brown walls bear small pictures with Indian themes. Stylish white, blue and red pendant lights dangle over black tables set with attractive white, pale-green, and orange plastic-and-metal chairs. Order at a counter along one side, take a number, and wait for your goodies to arrive on disposable service ware. Although everything is cooked to order, it won’t take long.

The menu offers a near-bewildering array of street food options, including a dozen appetizers, more than 20 chaat specialties, 14 traditional South Indian dishes, a half-dozen Indo-Chinese items (ultra-fiery Chinese dishes with an Indian twist); a half-dozen sandwiches (with Indian ingredients served between thick slices of white bread); a few rice dishes, a handful of Indian-style sweets, and an array of non-alcoholic Indian-style beverages. (No alcohol is served.)

Prices? You’re going to love this: These Indian small plates range from $2.99 (for a pair of deep-fried, crunchy potato vadas or veggie samosas) to an absolute top price of $8.49 (for chole batura, a Punjabi dish of spicy chickpeas and fried bread).

Did I mention that it’s all vegetarian? You won’t find a morsel of meat in the house; but I promise you this: You won’t care. It’s that good.

We’ve been twice, and barely made a dent in the menu. With so many discoveries to be tried, I’m planning to go again soon. I recommend that you do the same. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/shree ... ire-flavor

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Shreeji Indian Vegetarian Street Food
1987 S. Hurstbourne Pkwy.
890-4000
Facebook: http://bit.ly/shreeji

Robin Garr's rating: 90 points

Noise level: Even with Bollywood-style music videos playing at low volume on the big-screen TVs, conversation was easy during a fairly busy weekend lunch hour. (Average sound level 71dB.)

Accessibility: The modern shopping-center building appears to be fully accessible to wheelchair users.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

Re: Shreeji brings street-style Indian fire and flavor

by Iggy C » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:59 pm

We enjoyed it when we went. Lots of customers there, which boded well.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:23 pm

Iggy C wrote:We enjoyed it when we went. Lots of customers there, which boded well.

Same for us, Iggy. We didn't go right at noon both days, but even one day early and the other day late, at least half the tables were full. A lot of folks who appeared to be Indian, and a lot more from all over.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:57 pm

I went by there earlier this evening and got an order of Vegi-Samosa (2 pcs) and Potato Vada (2 pcs). I got these more as an appetizer to check the place out. Both orders were hearty, tasty, and with a nice sauce each.

This is a great concept. Robin mentioned being familiar with some of the fare from his time in New York. Not surprising. I spoke to the young lady behind the counter who is a family member. She said her parents opened this type of restaurant because they used to live in New York and wanted to bring the concept to Louisville. They plan to also add a buffet.

In my view, this is Indian food's answer to Taco Luchador. I'm sure either this family or someone else will multiply the concept in the area. I sure hope its the case.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:46 pm

I stopped in here Friday night, mainly just to check it out. I was familiar with dosa from when Dakshin used to serve them as a starter with the buffet. I thought the $6.49 price was a bit steep, but the dosa I got was about the size of my forearm. I ate it in the car in the parking lot.