Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

Grassa Gramma Has Anyone Gone?

by Christina Firriolo » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:17 pm

I saw that they were taking ressies for the soft opening on December 30th. I also saw that they have a menu up on Open Table and six reviews (all five star) but I haven't actually heard of anyone in this forum or on Facebook actually attending it.

It also looks like they quit taking reservations again.

I'm just too impatient. I really want to try this place!
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Grassa Gramma Has Anyone Gone?

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:44 pm

I'm eager to get there when they're open for regular business, Christina, but I try to avoid soft openings and VIP events. Also hoping to hear from someone who's been!
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Christina Firriolo » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:53 pm

I made a reservation tonight for my birthday weekend in early February. (so they're taking ressies again!)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:41 pm

I hope they make your birthday a memorable one!
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Christina Firriolo » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:33 pm

One way or another, I'm sure it will be!
We may go before that just to see if we like it. :)
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:42 pm

We went last night and had a great time. The complimentary Focaccia bread (10/10) was delicious, salty and garlicky. We started with the Bruschetta (10/10) and it was fantastic and a slightly different take on the dish than normal. Our entrees were the Cacio e Pepe (8/10) and the 32oz porterhouse (9/10) that was the nightly special. The steak was fantastic, cooked and seasoned perfectly. The pasta was cooked and flavored well, but ate on the dry side. We finished with the Tiramisu (10/10) and it was perfect.

Service was above what we expected for only being open 3 nights. The meal went a little slower than we would have liked, but we aren't the loungy type diners, so the 2 hour meal time was a tad excessive for us.

Another note. The restaurant was rather cold. Lots of people eating with their coats on. I don't know if they were having HVAC problems or if that is their chosen temp, but if you are cold natured, be prepared.

The game changer here is the architecture and design. The work that went into this place is mind-blowing. It's worth a trip just to see the place even if you are not having dinner.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:53 pm

Thanks for the report, Justin. I hope they get the temperature issue solved before I take Mary there. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:45 pm

We went tonight, around 8:15, with no reservation. They were full, and told us they were still on a "modified soft opening" meaning they only sat those with reservations so as not to be slammed until they were ready. We asked if we could sit at the bar, and they were happy to oblige!

The place is gorgeous . . . looks like an old Italian church that has been repositioned into a restaurant. No way to recognize either the theater or the restaurant that used to be there! It's obvious they spent a fortune! The Italian theme carries throughout, as the bartenders dressed with clerical/priest collars.

I agree with the prior review: it's COLD in there!

Michael (bartender) led us through the options offered in the bar tonight (only apps, pizzas, and desserts plus liquor). We had two glasses of Sartori di Verona Pinot Noir @ $9, an artichoke dip appetizer (90% artichokes to 10% mayo, plus a perfect cover of cheese, with what seemed like a lavosh bread for $9) and a fritto misto (fried calamari, two huge shrimp, and green beans, with marinera and lemon sauces for $14). While the fritto misto was a tad high for what we got, the quality and care in frying were exceptional.

We asked about the desserts, and the tiramisu cake was highly recommended, but we decided to pass. The bill came to $43.46 without tip.

While it was not inexpensive by any means, if the quality of the entrees matched the appetizers we'll be back! I do wonder if it can pay out, however, as the restaurant is not that big (large space, with crowded banquettes around the dining room, but a lot of open space in the center of the room to give it an open feel). I sure hope so, as we look forward to our next trip.
Andrew Mellman
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Christina Firriolo » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:16 pm

Did you ask anyone about why it is so cold? I'm curious if they're having problems, or what the deal is.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:47 pm

Christina Hall wrote:Did you ask anyone about why it is so cold? I'm curious if they're having problems, or what the deal is.

We did not ask. The main dining room has what seems to be 30 foot ceilings, so I wonder if it's a case of warm air rises and cold air sinks? I hope so, because that can be fixed with relatively inexpensive circulating fans, but I don't know.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:28 pm

Have friends who went last night. They ate in the big dining room, and found it "toasty warm." Wonder if it's just the entry way and bar that are cold?
Andrew Mellman
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Christina Firriolo » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:44 pm

I hope we figure this out before my birthday weekend!
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Christina Firriolo » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:32 am

Does anyone know if they have the full menu (and the full bar menu) rolled out yet? Last I heard they were planning for "sometime in February", but they pretty much ignore my weekly queries on the status of such on Facebook. :P
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:01 am

The menu is bigger now - we went last week, watch for a review before long ;) - and they said they considered themselves still in "soft opening," six weeks after the launch. Obviously they're taking their time to burnish the rough edges, but it's good.
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Christina Firriolo » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:00 am

Thanks Robin! I can't wait for your review!
Next