Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Missing Restaurant Serveware

User

TimT

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 10, 2011 4:43 pm

West of the Mississippi

Missing Restaurant Serveware

by TimT » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:34 am

I was visiting out of state and dining at a friends family restaurant and noticed what I thought were Laguiole steak knives. Upon closer inspection they were similarly designed knives, not Laguiole.
She noticed me looking closely at them and volunteered that they used real Laguiole knives in the past but had to stop because guests were constantly stealing them. Sometimes an entire table at a time. She said it was quite common for this to take place which surprised me because this was a high-end place. The food and service were wonderful BTW.

Later during my visit I was dining at another restaurant, this time noticing genuine Laguiole knives and I asked my server if guests "borrowed" the flatware and he told me it was commonplace for them to not only borrow flatware but plates and dishes too. Said it happened all the time.

I would expect that this would occur occasionally but was taken aback by their acceptance of the frequency. My question for the restaurant professionals on the board is, is this common in all restaurants?
"I dined at my favorite restaurant last night. It was like Heaven, only better. They let me in".
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Re: Missing Restaurant Serveware

by Heather L » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:41 pm

I saw a post on Facebook the other day where a patron at Mirin put a ramen bowl in her purse and walked out. And I know that copper mule mugs are frequent fliers as well.
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:26 pm

Tiki Mugs
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:57 pm

I am sure that when the doors closed on the first night of the first restaurant ever, items were missing.
I worked at a high end steak house in NYC for years- during training we were directed to count silver, steak knives, and salt and peppers when clearing tables. As people left we had to make sure the ridiculous
expensive table lamps were still there. We offered all these items for sale at the front desk, but the thrill of the hunt seemed to be too much for some people.
I recall going to the opening of a restaurant here in Louisville some years ago and remarking at the beautiful glassware and cutlery. Six months later they were using generic restaurant pieces- when I asked why I was not surprised to hear that theft was eating into the profits.
It's a sad commentary, and the reason we can't have nice things, alas!
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:03 pm

I am honestly shocked at this post and responses. How can people be so shameless and entitled?!
I still feel guilty over the little ramekin (?) of ranch I inadvertently placed in my to-go box years ago.
Last edited by Alanna H on Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:48 pm

This is depressing.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:58 pm

Oh yeah, high end, low end, it doesn't seem to matter. You'd think people who could afford to eat at the upscale places would have no need to pilfer the goods, but it doesn't seem to stop anyone. Case in point, I bought a dozen monkey dishes about 6 months ago. These ONLY go out for sides of beer cheese, pico de gallo, or cole slaw. So rarely. I have one left. We report all breakage (not to punish for accidents, but to keep track of broken items for inventory) and no one has reported any broken monkey dishes. So they went *somewhere.*

I must shamefully admit to taking two small serving dishes from Darrell's way back in the day, but I was also 17 years old and very, very stupid.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:06 pm

Years ago when Victoria Station opened up they too used nice steak knives and crockery dishes. Theft was rampant but it wasn’t always the guests. It wasn’t uncommon for an employee to have friends over after work for drinks and unabashedly showoff their VS furnished kitchens. It’s jaw dropping to me as well.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Taylor Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:00 pm

by Taylor Rich » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:13 pm

Back in the day when I sold beer those 7 oz Coronita bottles that Mexican restaurants turned into salt & pepper shakers didn't stand a chance. If it has a beer logo on it, people go nuts. The logoed glassware disappears as well.
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:41 am

Carla G wrote:Years ago when Victoria Station opened up they too used nice steak knives and crockery dishes. Theft was rampant but it wasn’t always the guests. It wasn’t uncommon for an employee to have friends over after work for drinks and unabashedly showoff their VS furnished kitchens. It’s jaw dropping to me as well.

I’d say it’s more common than not. Almost every industry person’s home I’ve been to has had some amount of recognizable flatware/glassware/china from one restaurant or another.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:57 pm

I would like to have the red cups from old school Pizza Hut.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:12 pm

Gary Z wrote:
Carla G wrote:Years ago when Victoria Station opened up they too used nice steak knives and crockery dishes. Theft was rampant but it wasn’t always the guests. It wasn’t uncommon for an employee to have friends over after work for drinks and unabashedly showoff their VS furnished kitchens. It’s jaw dropping to me as well.

I’d say it’s more common than not. Almost every industry person’s home I’ve been to has had some amount of recognizable flatware/glassware/china from one restaurant or another.

In my defense sometimes it comes when a restaurant changes over or updates their serving ware and they discard the old stuff by giving to their very poor staff. I got a whole bunch of stuff to stock my bachelor apartment that way back in the 90's.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Lora S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:51 am

by Lora S » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:00 pm

If you don't have the credentials to restaurant depot the "red cups from old school Pizza Hut"can be purchased at Dine Co.

I wish there were an easier way for a serious "home cook" to gain access to the "Depot"

That is another topic for another thread.

Lora
no avatar
User

meghan.levins

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:30 pm

by meghan.levins » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:27 am

We've caught patrons red handed putting 4 oz stainless bullets of half eaten beer cheese in their to go box, even having been given a to go cup for it. I have to replace about 12 every month. People steal our cute little butter spreaders too. Sorry, but y'all are paying for these thieves in the menu cost.