Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

Re: Peking City Closing

by Rich S » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:12 am

Robin Garr wrote:Here's a link to Louisville Cafe India, which at the moment is just the poster that Mary Anne shared.
http://louisvillecafeindia.com/

The website has a menu now, and it's quite extensive, and all Indian. Interestingly, they offer a lot of the stuff that the new Shreeji restaurant is serving, like dosas, puris and chaat. The website doesn't say whether they're actually serving this new menu yet, though.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:50 am

Rich S wrote:The website has a menu now, and it's quite extensive, and all Indian.

So the confusion increases! I wonder if they'll have separate menus, like that weird, strange time when Lentini's was serving both Italian and Vietnamese ... :roll:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:53 am

And they also specialize in cakes!
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:26 pm

Robin Garr wrote:And they also specialize in cakes!

It certainly going to be one of the strangest fusion restaurants in town!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:48 pm

Just an update, we would by their this afternoon in the Peking City sign is down and there's a temporary banner for Café India.

Also looking online Peking City has a new website and a place for online ordering (although it yet active according to the website).

The mystery continues...

User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:50 am

Does anyone know the latest on Peking City? My son loves their General Tsaos ( and I love their dumplings) and as we are going to be in the area tonight, I thought I'd surprise him with a trip there. But we are looking for their original recipe/ quality and definitely not Chinese/Indian Food. :shock: :lol:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:06 pm

No luck, Deb. It really did close, and an Indian restaurant, Louisville Cafe India, replaced it. Good Indian food, but it wasn't in really good shape when we were in. Good Health Department rating, but our booth seats were sticky with spilled food, so was the table, etc. That was pretty soon after the changeover, so I wouldn't recommend against it now. Again, the food was good, sort of like Shreeji but with meat dishes too. But Peking City? Gone.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:17 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry: Thanks, Robin.

Is Jasmine still doing great if we end up going there instead? Any other non-Chinese suggestions for that area of town? ( driving down Shelbyville road by the Snyder is definitely feeling like chain-country... :(
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:38 pm

We were talking about Jasmine the other day. Food is still good, especially if you stick to the authentic menu. Service can be sketchy, though. :(

Let's see ... you've got Clay Oven Indian, which is pretty good, right across the road from the former Peking City in the Kroger lot. There are suburban branches of Coal's Pizza and JoElla's out there. Middletown shops of Simply Thai and Havana Rumba? A couple of nice little lunch spots along Old Shelbyville Road in Middletown. Las Margaritas, the Mexican/Mayan place I went for a recent review? It's really good, and a more upscale setting than a taqueria.
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/las-margaritas

That ought to give you something to work with. :)
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:23 pm

Thanks, Robin! I remember thinking I wanted to check out Las Margaritas after reading your write-up, but totally forgot it was out there. :D
no avatar
User

Angel Y

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:26 am

by Angel Y » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:51 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Does anyone know the latest on Peking City? My son loves their General Tsaos ( and I love their dumplings) and as we are going to be in the area tonight, I thought I'd surprise him with a trip there. But we are looking for their original recipe/ quality and definitely not Chinese/Indian Food. :shock: :lol:

Debbie:

Peking City at Dutchmans Ln do have the Gen Tsao Chicken and Dumplings if you are in the area next time :) Thanks
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:14 pm

Thanks, Angel. Is it the same owners as the one that was in Middletown?
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:52 pm

this thread reminded me of something I encountered at the Peking City on Dutchmans. Is it customary with Chinese food to eat shrimp with the shells on? We stopped in there a few months back and ordered a shrimp dish, which was served in the shell. Peeling them was a pain and eating them with the shells wasn't all that appetizing.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:41 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Thanks, Angel. Is it the same owners as the one that was in Middletown?

Actually, it's a relative, I think the father of the owner of the one that was in Middletown. We go there occasionally when we have a doctors appointment down that way and the food has always been good. It's basically a take-out restaurant however and there are only 3 or 4 tables.

no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:24 pm

Richard S. wrote:this thread reminded me of something I encountered at the Peking City on Dutchmans. Is it customary with Chinese food to eat shrimp with the shells on? We stopped in there a few months back and ordered a shrimp dish, which was served in the shell. Peeling them was a pain and eating them with the shells wasn't all that appetizing.

Depends on the dish. For example, salt & pepper shrimp normally have shells on, as do some grilled or stir fried that are just shrimp with seasoning (no vegetables).
Andrew Mellman
Previous