Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Taco Choza on Westport Road

no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

Taco Choza on Westport Road

by Nathaniel C » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:52 pm

This is the place that just opened in The Ville Taqueria's former location. I went there a little after noon today. They had a sign up that said they would have margaritas soon. I take that to mean they don't yet have a liquor license, as they appear to have all the equipment they would need behind the bar.

The taco offerings are pretty similar to El Taco Luchador. I ordered a Taco Choza, Taco Pollo, and Taco Al Pastor to go. While I was waiting, the gentleman behind the register asked if I wanted hot or mild sauce, and got a couple of different hot sauces ready for my takeout order. The tacos were all double wrapped soft shells and had lots of meat on them--two tacos would've been plenty for me. Overall, I thought they were decent, but a little bland, and the pork on the Al Pastor taco was particularly dry. The hot sauces had good flavor. Watch out for the lighter colored hot sauce, I really liked it, but it's extremely potent. I let one of my coworkers try it and he came back to my desk red-faced and barely able to talk. :p

The menu also has quesadillas and burritos, but this place is more taco focused than The Ville Taqueria. They offer sides of queso, chips and salsa, and beans. I'll definitely be back to try the margaritas, but with El Taco Luchador, Waylon's, and Mexa having similar offerings within such a close radius, they need to do something to differentiate themselves--the bourbon margaritas at The Ville were a nice touch that kept me coming back.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Taco Choza on Westport Road

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:25 am

I'm glad to hear that they do the Puebla-style soft tacos. Their FB page didn't show anything but hardshell tacos, and that had me worried.

You're right about increasing taco density in St. Matthews, but it's got a long way to go before it catches up with pizza!
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

Re: Taco Choza on Westport Road

by Nathaniel C » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:16 pm

For anyone finding this old thread, I visited again today (it was better this time) and added my comments below Robin's review in that thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25308