Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Ehrler’s is back, and it’s good

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:01 am

Ehrler’s is back, and it’s good

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Ehrler’s bourbon pecan fudge.

Nothing goes much better to rid your palate of the sad and mournful taste of raw kale than a scoop of delicious, creamy ice cream, and the serious shot of bourbon in Ehrler’s bourbon pecan fudge ($3.60 for a kiddie cup big enough for two kiddies) did the trick for me.

Ehrler’s, an old Louisville dairy that had operated many ice cream shops around town until the last one closed early in the century, has returned, under new ownership but with the same logos, orange-and-green design, and, most important, the recipes. It reopened last spring in a new building at the corner of Brook and Main streets.

The ice creams we tried were excellent, creamy and rich as homemade, although someone had unfortunately gotten green mint flavor into the butter pecan, a weird combination. Wash the scoop between uses next time, folks!

Ehrler's Ice Cream, 201 E. Main St., 749-2236, http://ehrlers.com, https://facebook.com/Ehrlers

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/ehrlers-is-back

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: Ehrler’s is back, and it’s good

by Willie Myers » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:40 pm

Robin, I knew you were a fine writer, but you really knocked it out of the park with this one!! :D :D
Robin Garr wrote:"Nothing goes much better to rid your palate of the sad and mournful taste of raw kale than a scoop of delicious, creamy ice cream,....
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:05 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:38 pm

I wonder if there are plans to open other locations?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:06 pm

Good question, Carla. I think it's a much smaller operation than the original Ehrler's, which if I recall correctly was a full-service dairy that also made ice cream. But if you look at the pattern of Comfy Cow and Homemade Ice Cream & Pie Kitchen, opening one scoop shop seems to make people want to open a few more. :)
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:33 pm

In all honesty Robin I think I’m just getting “surburbia fatigue”. I’m tired of having to drive 30-45 minutes to get to any kind of decent food/drink/entertainment venue. Yeah, we’ve got a few ( very few) options out here but you can go through nearly all of them inside a month. And you can’t blame businesses for not betting the bank on a location out in the hinterlands.
Don’t mind me...I’m just pouting.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:13 pm

Carla G wrote:Don’t mind me...I’m just pouting.

Aww. :( At least you've got that great Thai place! Is it still good?
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:22 am

The Thai place is quite busy but I haven’t been in a few months. She’s a fabulous cook but insists on making everything so very hot even when requested otherwise and my gut just can’t take it. Still her flavors and execution are, at least in my opinion, some of the best. When I get my stomach back into “iron” shape I’ll go back and enjoy her cooking again.

The little Mexican kiosk (Bianca Cravings) in Pleasant Colony Court I posted about a week or so ago is excellent and Rikishi Sushi in Crestwood Station is outstanding. I always enjoy Selena’s in Anchorage but have to drive through 3 different police force areas to get home and, despite the fact I’m a careful driver, can almost always count on being stopped for anything from flickering tail light to (and I kid you not) “we were just wondering what kind of car this is?” I guess even a cop can get bored manning a no speeding zone.
Everything else is pretty pedestrian.
I miss St. Matthews.
End of rant.
:oops:
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:48 pm

Ehlers has been at the Kentucky Fair and Exposition Center for some time. They have multiple locations throughout the Fairgrounds during events. I work Red Cross First Aid there part time and that ice cream is my go-to treat. Good stuff. :D
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"