Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Mayflower Hotel

User

Robert Carnighan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:47 am

none

Mayflower Hotel

by Robert Carnighan » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:28 pm

During lunch at the Rover I was talking with Michael about the article in the C-J today. The article mentioned that he once worked at the Mayflower Hotel. When the elderly foodies gather an occasional quiz question is: Name all the restaurants that have been in the Mayflower. One was Alioto's. He had a bar across from the Greyhound station on Broadway that catered to CJ workers and cops.
Alioto's didn't last long. Ed Garber came in next with Alicia's. He later came with Piglets which he moved from across the alley from 610. I think Bim and I came up with 15.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Mayflower Hotel

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:05 pm

Bob, I don't have them memorized, but there is - or at least used to be in recent memory - a plaque near the entrance door that listed all the occupants.
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

Re: Mayflower Hotel

by Margie L » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:45 pm

Funny. My grandfather, who owned the Pine Room at some point, also had a restaurant in the Mayflower during the '60's. Renee played the piano in the main dining room. I don't remember the name of the restaurant right now. If I looked at the plaque, I'd recognize it.