Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Dean Corbett???

no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

Dean Corbett???

by Tony G » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:57 pm

I am seeing reports on twitter that Dean passed away? Any confirmations? I dont want to pass on any "fake news". Hope this isnt true.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Dean Corbett???

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:04 pm

Twitter post by Aaron Ellis of WAVE-3?

https://twitter.com/aaronellis01/status ... 8022478848

If it's true, yes, it's very sad. Dean has battled some tough diseases, but he's fought them off. :(
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:19 pm

I just did some searching on all the sources I know for obituaries in Louisville and none of them showed anything. However, sometimes the posting of obituaries is delayed. Hopefully it's not true, he such a big figure in the Louisville dining community.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:37 pm

Two of my friends working friends have texted me of his passing this afternoon from a heart attack. I have no reason not to believe them.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:47 pm

From FB:

Dallas McGarity
3 mins ·
Louisville has lost one of it’s biggest culinary ambassadors. I hope that everyone he has inspired, influenced, and mentored continues his fostering of goodwill and camaraderie that he has taught us all to embrace. RIP Dean.

and

Dan Thomas
30 mins ·
My mentor has passed...
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:45 pm

Gary Fox also posted. It's true. Louisville has lost a giant. :(
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:40 pm

whas11 will have the story after the college football game. This is heartbreaking news. :cry:
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:10 am

Dean was a wonderful friend and mentor to so many in the restaurant community- and he truly loved Louisville.
Some of his generosity is well known- he has helped raise huge amounts of money for The March of Dimes, Gilda's Club, Bourbon and Bowties, and many many other charities, including the one closest to my heart, APRON Inc.

What most don't know is that almost every day after the kitchen opened he would take two, three, maybe six bags of food to folks having a rough time, perhaps stuck in a hospital room, or the family of a regular guest that passed, or just a family down on their luck. I wen with him one day and we hit 5 different hospitals. He would then go back to the restaurant and not mention a word to anyone.

When I told him some community members were thinking about a way to help independent restaurant employees in need he immediately asked what he could do to help. I mentioned that the filing fee for a 501(c)3 was $800 and we were not sure how to raise it. He immediately got his checkbook and wrote out the check. After that he donated a set amount every month from both restaurants and encouraged others to do the same. In the seven years since APRON has given over $200K in grants to needy employees, including 25K earlier this year to help folks affected by flooded restaurants pay their rent.

He was also generous to his employees- for many years he would close Equus for a week and take the staff to the beach. There are also many chefs here in Louisville that were introduced to food festivals around the country and to the James Beard House by him. He wanted to put Louisville on the culinary map.

When he sold Equus a few months ago and took a job with Masterson's he said he thought he deserved to spend some quality time with his three sons and his wife Julie. What a shame he only had a short time to enjoy them.

Louisville will not be the same without him, but how lucky we were to have him while we did.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:16 am

Thanks for that, Gary. A worthy memorial to a man who will truly be missed.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:25 am

Gary, thanks for sharing some of these great background stories about Dean. We all obviously to him as a great chef, friend and supporter of many causes however I don't think many of us knew how deep and far spread his support went.

He will surely be missed by not only the restaurant community but by all of Louisville.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:06 pm

Without taking anything away from Gary's post, I'll tell you about the Man's reputation...

If you worked for Deano, that's a PHD in Hospitalty in this city. Look around and chances are the best of the best had something to do with Him.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:07 pm

RIP Chef.
You will be missed.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson