Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Need a suggestion

User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Need a suggestion

by Mark R. » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:57 pm

My wife and I are going to the Boney James concert next Friday night at the Palace. We normally go to Encore before a show there because it's so convenient and not bad for a quick meal. However, it's now closed. I know Marketplace is nearby as is 8 UP but ideally we would like someplace a little more casual. Since is a Friday evening a place that takes reservations would also be nice and it definitely needs to be someplace where we can park once and go to dinner and the show.

Thanks for your ideas.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Re: Need a suggestion

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:36 pm

BBC is open at 4th & Broadway . . . very nice, looks a tad more upscale than the Yum Center BBC tho still casual . . . food decent, drinks better . . . it's morphed into our "go to" place before the Palace or Brown

A tad farther, but Hiko-a-Mon is a 5-10 minute walk (Muhammad Ali just West of 4th St), and is casual, has wonderful food, and is rarely that busy at 6-ish (but does take reservations) . . . a lot of people love Mi Cocina (4th just before Muhammad Ali), but we haven't been there

In 4th St Live is Whiskey Dry, which doesn't take reservations, but around 6pm is wide open . . . we also liked Brendon Catch 23, but it is less casual than the others . . . Gordon Biersch is at the North end of 4th Street Live, but takes reservations / is casual / and decent food . . . and, while I don't love Guy Fieri's bbq place, it isn't terrible!

Safier Mediterranean Deli is an interesting place, but sounds too casual for what you want (and does not take reservations), and we haven't tried the Sicilian Pizza next door to it
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:38 pm

BTW, Bar Vetti is a 5 minute walk, and is on resy so I guess they take reservations!
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:46 pm

Mark, Marketplace sounds like the choice to me. Perfect location, handy to parking, and it's not really all that formal.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:20 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Mark, Marketplace sounds like the choice to me. Perfect location, handy to parking, and it's not really all that formal.

Not formal in terms of dress, yes.

Not formal in terms of pricing, no.

It's about 25-50% more expensive than the others I listed (except for Catch 23) . . . I don't know that that is what Mark meant - and I think you do get what you pay for - but it definitely can be a pricy place.
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:32 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote: . . . I don't know that that is what Mark meant - and I think you do get what you pay for - but it definitely can be a pricy place.

Good point, Andrew. I took "casual" to mean "you don't have to dress up," but anyway, you've given Mark lots of other options. I'd take just about any excuse to go to bar Vetti, myself.
no avatar
User

sarah.mabe

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun May 14, 2017 5:38 pm

by sarah.mabe » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:05 pm

It's a little walk (or park in between) but the Taco Luchador at 5th & Jefferson is casual, good and has a nice Happy Hour from 3-7 pm during the week.
User

Jeffrey D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:49 am

Prospect

by Jeffrey D. » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:06 pm

Pesto's is exactly what you want. 5th and Chestnut. You won't need reservations but they will give them to you. Excellent food and very "casually" priced.

Parking lot directly across 5th at Chestnut. 5th Street on-street parking probably available, too, and free after 6 pm, I think.

http://www.pestositalian.com/
My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:10 pm

Jeffrey D. wrote:Pesto's is exactly what you want. 5th and Chestnut. You won't need reservations but they will give them to you. Excellent food and very "casually" priced.

Parking lot directly across 5th at Chestnut. 5th Street on-street parking probably available, too, and free after 6 pm, I think.

+1
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:30 pm

Jeffrey D. wrote:Pesto's is exactly what you want. 5th and Chestnut. You won't need reservations but they will give them to you. Excellent food and very "casually" priced.

Yes, I found that prior to your post doing some looking. That's a lot we numbly parking so it's real convenient.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"