Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Bluegrass Burgers Closed

no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

Bluegrass Burgers Closed

by Mike D » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:04 pm

As I was driving down Frankfort Avenue earlier this afternoon I noticed that the chairs were on the tables at Bluegrass Burgers and no cars were in the parking lot. So I stopped and a sign on the front door indicates that they have closed.

We used to get veggie and black bean burgers from them every now and then, and liked them, but I must admit that we have not patronized them recently.

Didn't they have a change in ownership within the last year or so?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Bluegrass Burgers Closed

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:03 pm

Awwww! I hate to hear that, Mike. Like you, I liked the place a lot AND hadn't been for a while. (Mary used to go fairly regularly with some friends, though.)

Christopher Seckman, the owner of North End Cafe, was the original owner. I don't recall having heard that he was out, but what do I know?

Meanwhile, it doesn't look good. No answer on their phone (502) 614-6567, although it rings through, doesn't appear to be disconnected. No mention on their Facebook page, but it had been fairly active with near-daily posts until August 31, and not a single post thereafter. Last Instagram post, same day. Last day of the month: Gave up their lease at month's end? :(
https://www.facebook.com/BluegrassBurgersKY/
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:39 pm

I went there last week for the first time in forever. The food was good but overall the place had a very run down vibe. Things just didn’t seem like it was going well. A little dirty, they were out of most of their advertised soft drinks, and it just seemed off.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:11 pm

Interesting. I wonder if there was an ownership change that occurred when the social media all stopped abruptly, and the new owners gave it a couple more months before giving it up. Just speculating, no information at all.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:33 am

Pretty sure the Doc Crows restaurant group bought them
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:39 am

Well, that sent me to Chef Google, and sure enough, the sale happened almost a year ago, mid-October 2017.
https://www.courier-journal.com/story/l ... 761702001/

Something else has happened more recently, though, with the abrupt cessation of their social media after July 31, and its apparently vacant status now.

I've got to say, looking back over that group's history, with the singular exception of Doc Crow's, staying power is not what they're known for.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:48 am

It definitely changed hands and they quickly raised prices, changed the veggie burger to a boring black bean burger (Can I just quickly say that I am SO SICK of black bean burgers) and did away with the toppings bar. We went once after learning all of this and never went back.
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:53 am

Ick. I'm just as glad that I hadn't been lately. Thanks for the follow-up, Heather.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:33 am

It's so frustrating when a restaurant like this that has a good following and a great product gets sold in the 1st thing the new owner does is change everything! If the restaurant is successful with the current format stay with it, in most cases you bought the restaurant because it successful so why change something that's working? In this case from the comments that have been posted appears that the new owners just came in and changed everything. No wonder it went out of business.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:35 am

With a nice black peppery sear on their burgers, I was very impressed when they opened. However, it seems to me that there was a steep decline in food quality and execution just a couple of years ago, then it’s been a steady decline the rest of the way. This isn’t a surprise to me either.