Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Impossible Slider

User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

Impossible Slider

by Steve Eslinger » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:57 am

I just tried White Castle's new Impossible Slider. I give it a thumbs up. Unlike their veggie sliders with their alternate sauces, they keep this one pretty straight forward with few variations from the standard slider construction (smoked cheddar cheese as the standard cheese option and the patty is round with no holes). Also, I believe the onion was more coarsely chopped. While it's more than double the price of a regular slider, and is more caloric to boot, it is also much more substantial. Two of them would amount to a pretty satisfying meal. Note: These seem to be cooked to order, so don't expect that sack to come across the counter quite as quickly.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Impossible Slider

by Carla G » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:38 pm

Steve can you compare them size wise to anything else? About the size of a regular burger elsewhere?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:47 pm

As a fellow Slider Pilot, color me intrigued.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:35 pm

They use the same bun, so of course diameter wise they are still pretty small. They are MUCH thicker than the traditional squared five hole patty, though. Probably at least twice the thickness.
Next time I'm gonna go sans cheese or ask for the regular American. While the smoked cheddar wasn't bad, it imparted, well...a smokey flavor. I want to see how similar to the regular one it would be with just some of the dusseldorf mustard and no cheese or same cheese.
Oh, guess who's an investor in the impossible burger: Kumar!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:47 pm

I've tried 'em a couple of times, Steve, and been similarly impressed. Tastes amazingly like beef - arguably more so than the traditional slider, because there's more heft, as you say. The Impossible folks aren't focusing on marketing to vegetarians. They want to create a product that will satisfy meat-eaters, hoping to cut down on the environmental costs of world meat production. I think they're getting very close.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:58 pm

Yes, I've read a bit about them. While there's a bit of a Frankenstein thing going on with the lab stuff, they do seem to be on to something.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:45 pm

Indeed. They had to use genetic modification to turn soy heme into something with a striking resemblance to hemoglobin. :shock: But it makes such a tasty, "beefy" burger that I'm willing to eat them until I get nearsighted.
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:17 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Indeed. They had to use genetic modification to turn soy heme into something with a striking resemblance to hemoglobin. :shock:

Please allow the science geek to comment. The IF folks didn't genetically modify the soy heme protein to make it more like mammalian hemoglobin as it already has many of the cooking and flavor characteristics of mammalian hemogloboin. Rather, they cloned the gene for leghemoglobin and inserted it into yeast so they can produce it on an industrial scale. Yes, the Impossible Burger is a GMO derived food and it is delicious! Class dismissed as the professor is hungry!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:25 pm

Jon K wrote: Yes, the Impossible Burger is a GMO derived food and it is delicious! Class dismissed as the professor is hungry!

Thanks for the lesson, prof! I appreciate it. Mmmm, burgers.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:17 pm

I tried one earlier today. The former vegetarian in me is glad to see another choice on the market. However, my now carnivore self doesn't see me going back anytime soon. Let's face it--it's still White Castle. I stop by every now and then to satisfy a decadent craving. But there are too many other options around for a more heartier feed.
James J. Natsis