Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

Re: Martin's lighting up old Lynn's at last

by Jerry C » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:47 pm

Steve Eslinger wrote:No, I didn’t get any hint of chili powder. And like you, I’m not a big fan of it in baked beans. Ranch style pintos, sure. But no, these struck me as straightforward southern style sweet with onion and bacon—lots of thick sliced bacon or pork belly. Beans had enough tooth for me to think they were not starting out in a can.

Hmmm...may have to give Martin's another shot...maybe they will have the whole hog I wanted.
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:31 pm

I think it's brisket in the baked beans if I remember correctly.

My husband does not care for their baked beans, but prefers Marks. (I don't eat them, so I don't know.)

I pick up a pork sandwich from Martin's every once in a while, and I very much enjoy it! I didn't care for the hoe cakes because my hoes need more sugar! :P
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
no avatar
User

CrisBanaszynski

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:39 pm

119 Saint Matthews Avenue

by CrisBanaszynski » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:54 am

Jerry C wrote:
I was also impressed with the baked beans. Baked beans tend to be my benchmark side at bbq joints, and Martin's does a good job.

This is what I love about this forum and eating food in general...everyone has a different opinion of the exact same item(s)...I tried the Martin's on Westport Rd. about 9 months ago, and the reason I marked them off my list were the baked beans! Like Steve, I always order baked beans at a BBQ place.

My one big dislike is chili powder and lo and behold those beans had enough chili powder to make the rest of the meal not enjoyable. (I have never had baked beans with chili powder...at least that I could discern). Chris, do the baked beans actually have chili powder in the recipe or did some numbskull at Westport drop the whole can in by mistake?

I ordered a whole hog sammich, but at lunch time they said the whole hog was not available...so I had to settle for pulled shoulder...it was average.

Without giving away too much, the beans are spiced up with our bbq rub and other ingredients. I agree, I think baked beans should be more sweet and savory than spicy, however, I still enjoy ours.
Never trust a skinny chef...or a fat vegan
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:47 pm

Jerry C wrote:
I was also impressed with the baked beans. Baked beans tend to be my benchmark side at bbq joints, and Martin's does a good job.

This is what I love about this forum and eating food in general...everyone has a different opinion of the exact same item(s)...I tried the Martin's on Westport Rd. about 9 months ago, and the reason I marked them off my list were the baked beans! Like Steve, I always order baked beans at a BBQ place.
Steve & Jerry, I saw your all's comments about baked beans in BBQ places and I couldn't help but think back about an old stand-bye in Atlanta from the '80's called "Dusty's". They were a BBQ joint on Briarcliff Rd in NE ATL. Their BBQ was fine enough but what really stood out there were their baked beans! In fact, if you arrived as late as mid-afternoon on Saturdays....sold out! People would buy them by the gallon and take 'em home. (seriously...by the GALLON!)
And they had one more unique quality that explained whey they were often sold out on Sat. afternoons.....they were the absolute-best, drop-dead hangover cure that any of us had ever encountered! I have no clue was to what was in those guys that made them work so well, but a large bowl of 'em (and a short nap...) and you were ready for Saturday night!
wow~!...
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Buechel

by Jerry C » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:12 pm

The best baked beans I ever got here in the 'Ville (more than 25 years ago) was at a joint out in Middletown called Big Bubbas (or something similar). It was originally stand alone BBQ, where I think everything was outside in a parking lot. Later on they moved to a small nearby grocery store.

Anyone got a better memory on this place than me?
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:02 am

All this bean talk has led me to realize that I may have inadvertently responded incorrectly to Jerry's question about chili powder. Jerry's trigger is chili powder in unexpected places; mine is cumin. So, for some reason, I was thinking "nope, no cumin" instead of "nope, no chili powder." After Chris admitted that their rub is used, I realized that, you know, maybe there was a little hint of it. So, Jerry, perhaps your second go-round may not be much more to your liking.
But I didn't taste any cumin! :D
BTW, some of my favorite beans in town are from City BBQ. I know, it's a chain and pretty much everything except their smoked sausage is average at best, but they do their sides well. Their beans have almost a whole serving of brisket.
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

by Chris M » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:13 am

Big Bubba’s BubbaQ is still around. It became part of Scotty’s (once pizza then renamed) Ribs and more years (decades?) ago, and has now been folded into Check’s BBQ and Blues. All still in the same location on Shelbyville Road out past the Snyder. John Murrow purchased Scotty’s last year and remodeled the interior / renamed it. Same food, with a few items from Check’s mixed in.

Same beans. Still great. Best fried chicken in Louisville (though I admit I haven’t had the chicken since the new owners took over).

No more pizza though. I miss Scotty’s pies.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:01 am

Chris M-
Could you be a bit more specific about their location? I’d love to try them out.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:06 am

Carla G wrote:Chris M-
Could you be a bit more specific about their location? I’d love to try them out.

Carla, go past the Snyder, through one light (pretty sure it's only one), and you'll get to another light with a small strip center on the left (and a Thornton's on the same side of the street across from the strip center). It's in that strip center. The last area of retail before you are headed out US60.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:53 am

I've had the bbq nachos at checks and they were pretty good. I've also heard good things about the music acts.

http://www.checksbbqandblueslouisville.com/

Address: 14049 Shelbyville Rd, Louisville, KY 40245

Hours:
Thursday 11AM–11PM
Friday 11AM–12AM
Saturday 11AM–12AM
Sunday 11AM–10PM
Monday 11AM–11PM
Tuesday 11AM–11PM
Wednesday 11AM–11PM

Phone: (502) 244-6868
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Buechel

by Jerry C » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:54 am

Same beans. Still great.

I'm down!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:40 pm

I know the center.
Thanks Chris!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Buechel

by Jerry C » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:52 pm

When you get something on your brain, well...you just got to act on it! Especially if your tellin' me that Checks BBQ and Blues has the original recipe of Big Bubba's baked beans!

So, I went out there today (not convenient for me), and sure enough those were the best baked beans I have had in Louisville. My taste buds do not have a thirty year memory, but man those were spiced just right, with a little pulled pork in them!

I brought a pint home.

While there, I ordered the Pulled pork BBQ Nachos. WOW...a plate large enough for 3-4 people for $10.99 (not cheap...but worth every cent!) Pulled pork, cheddar jack cheese, shredded lettuce, onion, tomato and jalapeños (must have), topped with salsa and sour cream.

I don't remember salsa on my order (just as well), and the pulled pork was generously laid on top of the monster with just the right amount of sweet BBQ sauce. DELISH!

In fact, I am going to put the leftovers in the oven right now!
no avatar
User

charles.minter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:43 am

by charles.minter » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:54 pm

Was invited to join some friends at Martin’s for dinner this weekend. I had just eaten BBQ the day before, so I opted for the burger. It was terrific. One of the best in town. The hoe cakes were equally amazing. I do wish they offered jelly as a condiment for them.
Previous