Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

Re: Martin's lighting up old Lynn's at last

by Iggy C » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:59 am

Jimmy R wrote:I can't imagine that anyone reading it would ever want to visit any place that would be so hostile to potential customers.

Eh, part of the appeal of this lovely forum is that actual industry people post here, and part of the appeal of this *particular* industry is that chefs sometimes have big personalities. I mean, they even build multi-season reality shows that trade on that angle. Anyway, I didn’t feel anything written here really crossed a line, just some minor posturing when the quality of someone’s food was called into question. All part of the fun. YMMV.
Last edited by Iggy C on Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

CrisBanaszynski

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:39 pm

119 Saint Matthews Avenue

by CrisBanaszynski » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:05 am

neal.johnson wrote:Why did Atypical fold?

I opened with $60k, not enough to sustain a business. I had no personal savings, two young children, and an unsupportive wife who refused to work a job other than babysit in our home. I kept the business alive for almost 2 years in the money from day to day sales.
Never trust a skinny chef...or a fat vegan
no avatar
User

CrisBanaszynski

{ RANK }

Foodie

by CrisBanaszynski » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:08 am

Iggy C wrote:
Jimmy R wrote:
Mark R. wrote:I can't imagine that anyone reading it would ever want to visit any place that would be so hostile to potential customers.

Eh, part of the appeal of this lovely forum is that actual industry people post here, and part of the appeal of this *particular* industry is that chefs sometimes have big personalities. I mean, they even build multi-season reality shows that trade on that angle. Anyway, I didn’t feel anything written here really crossed a line, just some minor posturing when the quality of someone’s food was called into question. All part of the fun. YMMV.

That's the thing, I meant no hostility. People on this forum are just so pretentious and defending yourself to this crowd is useless.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:39 am

Iggy C wrote:
Jimmy R wrote:
Mark R. wrote:I can't imagine that anyone reading it would ever want to visit any place that would be so hostile to potential customers.

Iggy, please edit your post!! I did not and never would state what it looks like I said in your post! That is a quote from Jimmy, not me! You removed my part of the comment.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Jimmy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:07 pm

Germantown

by Jimmy R » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:01 am

"PRETENTIOUS:

"Behaving in an attention-seeking manner via presenting oneself on the surface as being intelligent, provocative, important, avant-garde, humorous or significant, yet harboring ulterior motives, typically involving some form of personal gratification or material gain (e.g. advancement in social status, career, wealth, etc.).

"Note that using this word is often conflated to be a pretentious act in and of itself, as this word is frequently used as a way to easily discredit people, works of art, ideas or statements while simultaneously boosting one's own status."

(PS: I said what I said. Mark didn't say what I said. He would never say that.)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:18 am

CrisBanaszynski wrote:
neal.johnson wrote:Why did Atypical fold?

I opened with $60k, not enough to sustain a business. I had no personal savings, two young children, and an unsupportive wife who refused to work a job other than babysit in our home. I kept the business alive for almost 2 years in the money from day to day sales.

And you made excellent barbecue, and people were sad when you had to close. :(

Glad to see you back in the business, Cris. :)
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:23 am

The most important trait for any professional is passion. I find it hard to fault anyone who passionately defends their work. Everything else is posturing.

This thread actually makes it more likely that I will visit Martin's.

Keep the faith Cris!
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:50 pm

CrisBanaszynski wrote:...you think we are going to let people trash talk on a two bit forum?....
folks...when Chris decided characterize the entire forum thus, he lost any credibility and that should have been the last post he was allowed. It's a tough call, Robin, but maybe time to lock this thread up?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:59 pm

Willie Myers wrote:
CrisBanaszynski wrote:...you think we are going to let people trash talk on a two bit forum?....
folks...when Chris decided characterize the entire forum thus, he lost any credibility and that should have been the last post he was allowed. It's a tough call, Robin, but maybe time to lock this thread up?

Aw, Willie, I thought we were all just starting to get along. I've locked maybe two or three threads in the history of the forum, and they were a hell of a lot worse than this! :shock: :P
no avatar
User

CrisBanaszynski

{ RANK }

Foodie

by CrisBanaszynski » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:29 pm

Thank you Robin and thank you Steve H for your words. I went through a lot with Atypical, the loss of my marriage, depression to the point of being suicidal, my parents disowned me. So, to the rest of the people on this thread, you must excuse me if I have so much passion to defend our food and hard work, which I felt was being attacked. I remember a time when Mark R came to Atypical and I did not have a handicap accessible entrance so I helped get him in the back door, which had a ramp. And I'm pretty sure he had an excellent experience. Justin Hammond frequented my spot many times. So, those of you who have judged me by my words and not actions, perhaps you should take a look inward. Come down from your ivory towers and realize that the people that bring you your food work hard and sacrifice a lot to do so. You don't have to be ashamed of yourselves but at least have some empathy towards us.
no avatar
User

charles.minter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:43 am

by charles.minter » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:57 pm

Cris...you are coming off like a complete prick. I’d advise you to reread all your comments and think how an executive from your company would feel about your comments. If an employee of mine responded to the public like you have, he would loose his job. Not wishing that on you by any means. I can appreciate your passion, but you are coming across as a Grade A Asshole. You may not be attempting to be, but you are. I’ve been guilty of over reacting in the past myself when something I was passionate about was attacked.

I ate at the former Lynn’s location this week prior to seeing this thread. Everything my party had was terrific. One of the best BBQ meals I have ever had. The service was outstanding. I have a new go-to for BBQ.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:33 pm

charles.minter wrote:Cris....

Hey, Charles! You're a little late to the party. We're getting over the flames, and I really don't see any need for you to come back in and throw gasoline on the dying embers. You're really not showing yourself in the best perspective when you do that. Want to back up and knock it off?
no avatar
User

charles.minter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:43 am

by charles.minter » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:56 pm

Robin...Your post strikes me as odd. This is the really only active topic on your forum and you are making it seem like I am resurrecting some old post. The post before mine by Cris refers to people in their ivory tower, so I’d have to disagree that the thread is now full of love, respect and happy comments. But this is your forum so do as you wish.
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:50 am

regarding this thread...

LOCK IT UP!
LOCK IT UP!
LOCK IT UP!

((now...where have I heard that chant before? :roll: :roll: ))
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:55 am

Chris certainly was a great operator of his previous restaurant and we really enjoyed the barbecue there. At least IMHO it was much better than that at his present place of employment. I was very sorry to see it close. Again, I think one of barbecue places, or any type of restaurant for that matter, have a better product than any restaurant that is part of a "chain"!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
PreviousNext