Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

Jury Duty eats...

by Mary Anne » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:36 am

I'm pulling jury duty for the next two weeks and my main concern, of course, is where am I supposed to eat?? Building is on Jefferson between 7th and 8th, it doesn't look like most food trucks wander down that far, and I'm not so sure I want to hoof it several blocks to find them in the zillion degree heat. Any tips?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Jury Duty eats...

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:21 am

Good luck on the jury duty, Mary Anne! Somewhat to my amazement, I've never been called, and now I'm wondering if I should even type that. :shock:

There is kind of a restaurant vacuum around the Hall of Justice, and I don't get downtown enough to know the food truck scene. Worse, I'll bet the nearest eateries (Another Place?) are jammed at lunchtime. Are there facilities for jurors to bring their own lunch and eat it there? Or take it out into one of the little shady parks around there?
User

Shannon W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:06 pm

by Shannon W » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:33 am

Fingers crossed for you, most days we were done before lunch. I just brought my lunch. There is a nice room with tables and windows to eat, soda machine, snack machine. Across the hall is a place with turkey sandwich, burger etc... but the line gets long. It took too long to walk or drive anywhere.
"Mark that frame an eight...and you're entering a world of pain."
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:34 am

"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:47 am

Taco Luchador is now open at 500 W. Jefferson . . . there are 5-10 food trucks, mainly on 5th between Market & Main, really not that far! . . . Dish is on Market between 4th and 5th, but fast service (and air conditioned) . . . Whiskey Dry in 4th St Live (Ed Lee's burger place) also is a walk, but quick service and air conditioned . . . Hiko-a-Mon is roughly 5th and Muhammad Ali, and is pretty empty for lunch most days (and can be chilly!)
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:26 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:. . . Dish is on Market between 4th and 5th, but fast service (and air conditioned) . . .
what Andrew said! I was on for about a week and went over to Dish every day and it was a treat!
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:22 pm

I don't know how I've been lucky enough to never be called for jury duty :-P but I always assumed they provided meals for you.
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:33 pm

Alanna H wrote:I don't know how I've been lucky enough to never be called for jury duty :-P but I always assumed they provided meals for you.

I think they only do that if you're sequestered on a high profile trial, and they want you to avoid contact with the outside world.
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:07 pm

You won't be there every day unless you have the bad luck to be seated on a long trial.

The easiest good food to get to is Taco Luchador. Cut through the courthouse at 7th, using the second floor walkway into the district courthouse, come out at 6th & Jefferson and you only have a block to Taco Luchador..

Get there early on the first morning because the parking garage fills up quickly on Monday morning. Bring your paperwork with you and a snack. Grab a seat at the table in the front of the room which has access to outlets, table space, and a lot more room than the otherwise tight seating.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:18 pm

My son is in the same pool! There is a small cafe in the courthouse, he said the prices were not bad. He is taking his lunch, though, since his job does not give paid days off for jury duty. You can eat in the jury waiting area. He is already home from the first day.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:13 pm

I'm about to start my jury duty stint...(for the first time...I'm actually looking forward to it!)...and like a good foodie, I have my list of places to eat at-- hope they won't be slammed! Good to know there's at least a cafe in the Courthouse. Too bad Gavi's is gone-- I sadly never ate there, but it sounded amazing-- I don't think I'd even heard about it until they'd closed.

Obviously, some of these are listed for convenience...can't be late!

Another Place Sandwich 119 S. 7th St.
Mussel and Burger Bar 133 S. 7th St.

Cravings 101 S. 5th St.
Carali's Rotisserie 211 S. 5th St.
Quizno's 223 S. 5th St.
Green District 225 S. 5th St.

Hot Box Eatery 438 W. Market St.
Pokehana 436 W. Market St.
Dish on Market 434 W. Market St.
Downtowner Deli 428 W. Market St.

Taco Luchador 500 W. Jefferson St.
Pita Pit 434 W. Jefferson St.
W.G. Grinders 430 W. Jefferson St. (not sure this exists-- it's on Google Street View but not listed anywhere else)

Qdoba 300 S. 4th St.
Smashburger 312 S. 4th St.
Zoup! 318 S. 4th St.
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:54 am

MarieP wrote:I'm about to start my jury duty stint...(for the first time...I'm actually looking forward to it!)...and like a good foodie, I have my list of places to eat at-- hope they won't be slammed! Good to know there's at least a cafe in the Courthouse. Too bad Gavi's is gone-- I sadly never ate there, but it sounded amazing-- I don't think I'd even heard about it until they'd closed.

Obviously, some of these are listed for convenience...can't be late!

Another Place Sandwich 119 S. 7th St.
Mussel and Burger Bar 133 S. 7th St.

Cravings 101 S. 5th St.
Carali's Rotisserie 211 S. 5th St.
Quizno's 223 S. 5th St.
Green District 225 S. 5th St.

Hot Box Eatery 438 W. Market St.
Pokehana 436 W. Market St.
Dish on Market 434 W. Market St.
Downtowner Deli 428 W. Market St.

Taco Luchador 500 W. Jefferson St.
Pita Pit 434 W. Jefferson St.
W.G. Grinders 430 W. Jefferson St. (not sure this exists-- it's on Google Street View but not listed anywhere else)

Qdoba 300 S. 4th St.
Smashburger 312 S. 4th St.
Zoup! 318 S. 4th St.

W.G. Grinders closed years ago and they were only open for a few months. Ev's Deli across from the Hall of Justice in the lobby of the old PNC Plaza (500 W. Jefferson) is solid and very reasonably priced. Green District is good but every salad is $10 or more and they don't promote recycling or biodegradable products. Everything is plastic. Dish on Market is a joke. Pita Pit is ok but takes FOREVER to get through the line. Qdoba is a continuous line out the door daily. You forgot Pot Belly which is makes a good sandwhich. Cravings makes the best mac n' cheese I've ever had.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:03 am

I hope your jury duty rewards your expectations, Marie! In addition to your list, keep your eyes open for food trucks in the area!
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:10 am

I did mine a few years ago. I was tapped for two weeks but only had to go in four days. I ended up eating at the lunch counter in the building. Buying your lunch and paying to park ends up burning through the $12 you get for service. I never heard a case, but I brought my laptop with me and was able to get quite a bit of work done.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:42 am

neal.johnson wrote:W.G. Grinders closed years ago and they were only open for a few months. Ev's Deli across from the Hall of Justice in the lobby of the old PNC Plaza (500 W. Jefferson) is solid and very reasonably priced. Green District is good but every salad is $10 or more and they don't promote recycling or biodegradable products. Everything is plastic. Dish on Market is a joke. Pita Pit is ok but takes FOREVER to get through the line. Qdoba is a continuous line out the door daily. You forgot Pot Belly which is makes a good sandwhich. Cravings makes the best mac n' cheese I've ever had.

Thanks so much for the info! Ev's Deli sounds like it'd be good. I didn't include Potbelly because my experience at the one in Middletown wasn't so great-- glad to hear your experience is different at this one (my 6-inch sub couldn't have been 6 inches-- more like 4-- the cashier just stared at me and said it was 6 inches-- it was later in the evening, and I was in a bit of a hurry, so I didn't bother and just ate it).

Robin Garr wrote:I hope your jury duty rewards your expectations, Marie! In addition to your list, keep your eyes open for food trucks in the area!

Thanks-- and will do!

Richard S. wrote:I did mine a few years ago. I was tapped for two weeks but only had to go in four days. I ended up eating at the lunch counter in the building. Buying your lunch and paying to park ends up burning through the $12 you get for service. I never heard a case, but I brought my laptop with me and was able to get quite a bit of work done.

So glad I don't have to worry about parking-- sorry you had to-- though good that you got quite a bit of work done! I'm doing it old school-- taking a book. My cousin loaned me "America's First Daughter" (about Patsy Jefferson Randolph) last year-- seems like an appropriate read.
Next