Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Old Louisville Chili Bowl

User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

Old Louisville Chili Bowl

by Gordon M Lowe » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:54 pm

I had been by this little place on Oak Street several times, and was always curious about it, so I decided to go in there, yesterday, and I had a delicious bowl of chili! It was mid-afternoon, and not really popping with business, but I suggested to the man cooking in the kitchen they might want to consider opening on Sundays for the church crowds. I go to St. Louis Bertrand, which is right around the corner, on 6th, and I would have dropped in before, had they been open.

It's a red and white decor outside and in, and very clean and has cute little kid-sized tables set up near the windows. There are also some cool old local photos on the walls. You order and pay at a spot near the back where the kitchen is, and you can look in and see they have a lot of space back there to work in. They bring your order out to the table you pick. It's not a big menu, but I only went there for the chili, and I was very pleased. I'll definitely go back. :D
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Old Louisville Chili Bowl

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:00 pm

Gordon, that's fascinating: The name is a real blast from the past, as The Chile Bowl on Broadway across from the old Post Office used to be a little hole-in-the-wall for Times and CJ reporters. It closed in the late '70s I guess, but it might have been Louisville's first "Mexican" restaurant, or maybe second to the Old Walnut Chile Parlor. :lol:
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gordon M Lowe » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:09 pm

That Chile Bowl place you're talking about sounds vaguely familiar. I know I was never in there, but I think I did hear it was a pretty cool hangout.

I remember going to the Old Walnut chili parlor when they had a location where Falafel House is now, at Highland and Baxter. I didn't really care for their chili. It was greasy and oily. This Old Louisville Chili Bowl place's chili is very similar in taste to my mother's, though spicier. They'll add spaghetti, cheese, and onions if you want, but I wanted to get the firsthand flavor experience naked. :)
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:06 pm

Gordon M Lowe wrote:...I wanted to get the firsthand flavor experience naked.

No shoes, no shirt, no service??
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Gordon M Lowe » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:13 pm

Jay M. wrote:
Gordon M Lowe wrote:...I wanted to get the firsthand flavor experience naked.

No shoes, no shirt, no service??

Ha ha, no, just seeing if anybody's paying attention. :)

But, seriously, I don't like to doctor things up when I'm looking for a legitimate first impression. I want to taste the real deal.