Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Food & Wine: 40 most important restaurants

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:53 pm

Included in the list of the 40 most important restaurants of the past 40 years is 610 Magnolia (under Edward Lee)!

"It's hard to imagine Louisville becoming the vibrant food destination it is today without the touch of chef Edward Lee, whose globally-minded Southern cooking helped elevated Kentucky ingredients (like sorghum and country ham) to a national stage."

https://www.foodandwine.com/lifestyle/4 ... a%22%22%7d
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Food & Wine: 40 most important restaurants

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:43 pm

I'm glad to see Ed, and Louisville, get a little attention, but that statement doesn't make any sense to me. Unless you include Ed Garber's 25 years pre-Lee at 610, I think he didn't get here until after the train was already well out of the station.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:53 pm

I seem to remember Ed Garber as being more "continental" than "Southern" in terms of ingredients & cuisine, while Ed Lee (after the first year or so) made it more into a modern Southern-ingredient type of place. It certainly had the quality image under Garber, but was it really ground-breaking new South cuisine?
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:35 pm

I'm pretty sure Louisville was a known culinary hot spot before Ed Lee. Good lord.