Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Muslim bakery

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Muslim bakery

by Carla G » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:45 am

Does Louisville have a Muslim bakery? I just saw an article about the history of bean pie and I want to try to bake but would like to try a real one from someone that knows what they’re doing first.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

Re: Muslim bakery

by Iggy C » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:22 am

Are you asking about a Nation of Islam bakery? Cause that’s kind of a different thing. Dino, al Watan, al Furat, and Jasmine are all good bakeries, for what that’s worth.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:46 am

In addition to Al Watan and the others Iggy mentioned, Carla, you might try Anar Foodmart at 8730 Westport Road, 426-8180. It's an excellent bakery ... and happens to be in the same strip mall as La Rosita taqueria, so save room for a taco while you're there. :)
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:41 pm

Iggy C wrote:Are you asking about a Nation of Islam bakery? Cause that’s kind of a different thing. Dino, al Watan, al Furat, and Jasmine are all good bakeries, for what that’s worth.

You know I’m not sure. It seems bean pies were developed by Muslims in the south of the US years ago but if it’s s Muslim tradition or a southern black tradition I’m not sure.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:24 pm

Carla G wrote:
Iggy C wrote:Are you asking about a Nation of Islam bakery? Cause that’s kind of a different thing. Dino, al Watan, al Furat, and Jasmine are all good bakeries, for what that’s worth.

You know I’m not sure. It seems bean pies were developed by Muslims in the south of the US years ago but if it’s s Muslim tradition or a southern black tradition I’m not sure.

Both. Southern blacks converted to Islam during the civil rights struggle. Muhammad Ali was far from the only one. :) Here's a good story about it from the Columbia (SC) newspaper:

https://www.columbiamissourian.com/spec ... c5085.html
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:28 pm

no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:30 pm

Carla G wrote:

I only know the bean pies as a Nation of Islam thing, because prohibitions on sweet potatoes and pumpkins are a quirk exclusive to Nation of Islam that mainstream Muslims don’t practice.

But [Elijah] Muhammad also puts the kibosh on many other ingredients vital to the African-American culinary tradition, which sprang up in the South and remains vibrant in black-dominated neighborhoods in Northern cities: sweet potatoes, cornbread, peas, collard greens. This, according to Muhammad, is fare for animals, not humans. For example, “sweet potatoes were never good for any human to eat. They are good for hogs, but not for you.” And Allah “considers most peas fit for cattle and herds of animals, but not for the delicate stomachs of human beings.”

Enter the navy beans — their surface toasted to a carmelized orange on my Saran-Wrapped pie. Writes Muhammad: “No beans did He advise, except the small navy — the small size and not the larger one — the little brown pink ones, and the white ones. This bean He valued to be very high in protein, fats and starches, and it is a safe food for prolonging life.”

Link: https://www.theawl.com/2012/01/eat-pray ... -of-islam/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:46 pm

Fascinating stuff. Thanks, Iggy!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:07 pm

Robin - Thanks for the recipe and yes I will try it! I was hoping to try one made by someone that’s made them before but I can’t seem to find them anywhere.

Iggy- Thanks for the education, it was fascinating!
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:38 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Both. Southern blacks converted to Islam during the civil rights struggle. Muhammad Ali was far from the only one. :) Here's a good story about it from the Columbia (SC) newspaper:

https://www.columbiamissourian.com/spec ... c5085.html

Maybe the Midwest, too? The link is from the Columbia, Missouri paper. :D
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:53 pm

Jay M. wrote:https://www.columbiamissourian.com/special_section/cultivating_connections/local-bean-pies-connect-columbia-with-rich-muslim-tradition/article_0928677c-eabe-11e5-9be5-af1057ac5085.html

Maybe the Midwest, too? The link is from the Columbia, Missouri paper. :D[/quote]
D'oh! Thanks, Jay! I saw "Columbia" and went to the southernmost option. :oops:
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:30 am

I haven't made a Bean Pie in several years but they have always been a favorite of mine. Back in the 1970s, I was sitting with my husband in the parking lot of a garage in East Atlanta, waiting for my car to be repaired. A man walked up to me and offered to sell me a Bean Pie. I'd never heard of such a thing. He had several of them in boxes, stacked atop one another and tied together with string. I declined and he said, "Ma'am, if you don't like this pie, I'll buy it back from you!" He gave us a pie and two plastic forks. My husband and I couldn't resist the offer and sampled some there, on the spot. Oh, my goodness! It was a taste I'll never forget!

I hope you'll try to make one yourself, Carla. They really are divine. And super-dooper easy to make. In a pinch, a premade pie crust will do, but I always like to start with my own homemade pastry. For the filling, just combine everything in your blender and pour it into the shells. Bake and serve.

Here's a pretty common recipe for Nation of Islam Bean Pie:

Nation of Islam Navy Bean Pies

2 cups cooked navy beans (drained canned are fine to use)
4 eggs
1 14oz. can of evaporated milk
1 stick of butter (softened)
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 Tablesppons flour
2 cups sugar
2 Tablespoons vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line two 9 inch pie plates with crust. Dot a few holes with the end of sharp knife or fork a few times.
In large mixing bowl mash beans with a potato masher, add the butter, milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon and flour. Mix with electric hand mixer until well blended 2-3 minutes. Add sugar and vanilla and blend. Pour mixture into the two pie shells and bake about one hour, until golden brown and set.

This may also be of interest to you:
https://www.facebook.com/AfraidOfAymann ... wMDEyNjEz/
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:19 am

Thank you thank you!
Gonna make this weekend.
:D