Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Another Middletown grocery store closing

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:01 pm

Mark R. wrote:Doll's facility a good supermarket for what it was but it was certainly not even close to being a Wegman's If you had ever been to Wegmans you would know what I mean.

Nah. I used to go to the Wegmans at Ithaca (the original, I think?) and Binghamton, and they were really nice. But Doll's at the end, after they did the upgrade, was better. I don't see the Whole Foods comparison at all, sorry.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:23 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Nah. I used to go to the Wegmans at Ithaca (the original, I think?) and Binghamton, and they were really nice. But Doll's at the end, after they did the upgrade, was better. I don't see the Whole Foods comparison at all, sorry.

I was only using Whole Foods as a comparison to what we have now, it certainly not close to what Wegmans stores are, especially their newer ones. Most of them have two-story dining areas etc. The biggest one I've been in was in Dulles Virginia just outside the airport. It had just open when I was there and it was about 150,000 ft.².

The chain originated in Rochester New York where I grew up. Even in the early days the stores were better than anything we have in town today. That's also was a corporate headquarters is. Hopefully that will never get bought out or bow to investors and quit being a typist or they have been to this point.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:11 pm

Yes, my MIL lived in Rochester, and that is a great store. I will forever wish for a Wegman's here.
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:57 am

I guess with the expansion of Jet and Amazon our whole shopping experiences will change. I live close to a brand new Walmart and while I don’t shop there often the last few times I was there there were no ( as in 0) aisles opened for clerk assisted checkout and only one clerk monitoring a bank of self checkout registers with a backup of more than a dozen people waiting. Dang! I guess times are hard for the poor Walton family.
Kroger is expanding into pre-prepped meals, olive bars and meal kits, changing their aisle arrangement so that it makes no sense at all. I find myself at Meijers more and more it seems and, (shrugs) they service most of my needs well.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:20 am

Carla G wrote:I find myself at Meijers more and more it seems and, (shrugs) they service most of my needs well.

For what it's worth, Kroger is a union shop. :) We generally go to Kroger for staples, with Valu for backup; farmers markets (and our own garden) for all produce in season; Lotsa Pasta and Rainbow Blossom for specialty stuff, and Whole Foods and Trader Joe's for treats. This works great for me, but others' mileage may vary.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:53 pm

Carla G wrote:
Kroger is expanding into pre-prepped meals, olive bars and meal kits, changing their aisle arrangement so that it makes no sense at all. I find myself at Meijers more and more it seems and, (shrugs) they service most of my needs well.

I think all of the grocery stores just keep changing their aisle arrangement so you have to go through every aisle to find what you're looking for, I'm sure it's part of their marketing plan.

We like you have been going to Meijers more often but we just don't get a good feeling about their meat, seafood and deli area.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:10 am

As I am reading all the posts, I can't help but feel a bit nostalgic for the grocery store I grew up with....Keeling's Kountry Key Market in (then) beautiful downtown Lyndon! Totally a neighborhood grocery where you knew where everything was and all the employees knew the customers by name!

Definitely a bygone era
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:04 am

Bill Veneman wrote:Keeling's Kountry Key Market in (then) beautiful downtown Lyndon!

Bill, sometime in the '80s, maybe, didn't it segue into the first Doll's?
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:40 pm

Yes, it did shortly after I moved to Nashville in '85....I remember because Mom was not in the least bit pleased!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
Previous