Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Another Middletown grocery store closing

by Mark R. » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:16 pm

Walmart announced this morning that the Walmart Neighborhood Marketplace at 201 Blankenbaker Parkway, with 95 employees in 52,000 square feet will be closing. In addition the Walmart Supercenter at 1915 S. Hurstbourne Parkway, with about 200 employees in 127,000 square feet and the Walmart Neighborhood Marketplace at 3010 Poplar Level Road, with 90 employees in 40,000 square feet will also be closing.

Here's the article from business 1st: https://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/news/2018/07/11/walmart-closing-three-louisville-stores.html?ana=e_lou_bn_breakingnews&u=jmaEvPefCYz57LwC%2FD%2Btbu%2BJKPf&t=1531325189&j=82634401

The shopping options in the Middletown area are decreasing rapidly. Walmart wasn't a place to buy meat or produce but was certainly a good place for name brand canned products which Kroger doesn't offer. This is the 3rd grocery shopping store close in this area and the last year. 1st Value Mart, then The Fresh Market and now the Neighborhood Marketplace. Before long the side of town is going to be as much of a food desert as the West end!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

Re: Another Middletown grocery store closing

by Kris Billiter » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:54 pm

Certainly it is a loss. This place is about 90 seconds from my house and was great for when you just needed to run and get something quick. With that said I would say were still doing OK in Middletown. We have Kroger, target, Walmart, and Luckys all within about 3 miles of each other.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:04 pm

Kris Billiter wrote:With that said I would say were still doing OK in Middletown. We have Kroger, target, Walmart, and Luckys all within about 3 miles of each other.

Comparing what we have to what we've lost I say we are definitely in a steep downhill slide. Obviously The Fresh Market was the biggest loss although Value Market was almost as big of a loss in some ways. As you said a Neighborhood Store was a great place to run in for a few things especially since they were reasonably priced.

As far as what we still have left, Kroger is stocking more and more their own brand products and has greatly reduced national brand products it carries, also the store is always crowded as is parking (especially handicap spaces). The Super Walmart has a good selection of national brand products but is severely lacking in meat and produce, again parking is a major issue. Target, they have groceries? is not a place we even consider a grocery store unless we are in the store to get something else and end up picking up some groceries. That leaves Lucky's, we've really never liked the feel of that store and again they have a very limited selection of national brand products. Their meat and seafood is questionable IMO.

Of course we always have Meijer and Aldi (2nd one going in where CompUSA used to be) but there shopping options are also quite limited in many ways.

We are certainly going to have to make drastic changes in our shopping and in some ways eating habits.

no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:34 pm

Your points on what has been lost are very valid and I apologize if I seemed snarky. Wasn’t my intent.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:43 pm

Kris Billiter wrote:Your points on what has been lost are very valid and I apologize if I seemed snarky. Wasn’t my intent.

Not an issue, I just wanted other people to realize how much has really been lost in this area vs. what we still have. I can only hope that maybe another supermarket chain (respectable one with good products) will come and fill the void.

User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:46 pm

Aldi is coming in on Hurstbourne by Barnes & Noble. Hopefully it will help fill the void a bit.
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:25 pm

Bill Veneman wrote:Aldi is coming in on Hurstbourne by Barnes & Noble. Hopefully it will help fill the void a bit.

There's already one over on Westport Road at the entrance to Indian Springs. At least in our opinion they don't carry enough products to be considered a full-grown grocery store. Even the Walmart neighborhood stores have a much larger inventory and variety of products available. I also don't offer anything in the line of specialty foods like The Fresh Market did.

User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:42 pm

I'm a huge Aldi fan. Their meat certainly looks fresh, although I haven't eaten the meat in more than 3 decades. They do carry a limited selection, but do you really need 5 brands of cornflakes, 7 brand of canned tomatoes, etc? They have what I need for the most part, the store is small enough to get around easily (wide aisles) and I'm in and out with efficiency. I've been satisfied with all their products. The fresh produce is truly fresh (better than Kroger although that might not be a high bar) and they have a gluten-free products section if you need that. I believe close to all their products have removed artificial dyes and the vast majority are organic. It's been a company goal they've been working on for a couple of years.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:57 pm

While I agree thatI don't need 7 brands of tomatoes or 5 brands of cornflakes I'm sure we are no exception in having certain brands we like. Unfortunately at least when we have visited them in the past they haven't had either of the brands we prefer. Of course Kroger has got rid of some of the brands we prefer also and has instead replaced them was more storebrand products. At least he Aldi we've been to (Westport Road) had a very small selection of produce, maybe that's not the norm. As far as meat and seafood goes, I generally prefer it to be in a display case instead of prepackaged. I guess that's why different people go to different stores and it certainly unfortunate that the main one we preferred (The Fresh Market) is in the process of closing and are go to store for quick pickup items (Walmart neighborhood store) is also closing.

We can only hope that they be Publix or one of the stores of that caliber see the opening to move into the Louisville market.

User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:13 pm

I would be so happy with a Wegman's!
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:34 pm

Christina Hall wrote:I would be so happy with a Wegman's!

Wouldn't We All! However, and fourthly don't think that's in the cards.

User

Jimmy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:07 pm

Germantown

by Jimmy R » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:15 pm

Why Publix? My mom lives in Florida across the road from one Publix and down the street from another, and she did all her shopping (including prescriptions) with them for years. No longer. She is completely fed up with the loss of her favorite brands and their consistently awful customer service, not to mention their extremist political contributions. Publix has made no effort to accommodate their longtime customers (e.g., refused to cross the street to deliver food or a prescription to this woman in her 90s who has shopped there for 20 years). Surely, there's a better alternative.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:02 pm

Jimmy R wrote:Why Publix? My mom lives in Florida across the road from one Publix and down the street from another, and she did all her shopping (including prescriptions) with them for years. No longer. She is completely fed up with the loss of her favorite brands and their consistently awful customer service, not to mention their extremist political contributions. Publix has made no effort to accommodate their longtime customers (e.g., refused to cross the street to deliver food or a prescription to this woman in her 90s who has shopped there for 20 years). Surely, there's a better alternative.

Major grocery stores dropping national brands things to be the norm these days, Kroger has been doing the same thing. Actually it looks like in general every grocery store chain is dropping national brands, adding private brands in reducing service. The only exception is that many of them now have curbside pickup and home delivery. While these sound like good ideas you have no control over the quality of the produce and meats that you receive. Don't know about you but we certainly like to pick what meat and produce we are receiving not trust someone else to make the decision for us.

Publix may not be Nirvana but it certainly a change what we have which isn't much!

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:55 pm

Jimmy R wrote:Why Publix? My mom lives in Florida across the road from one Publix and down the street from another, and she did all her shopping (including prescriptions) with them for years. No longer. She is completely fed up with the loss of her favorite brands and their consistently awful customer service, not to mention their extremist political contributions. Publix has made no effort to accommodate their longtime customers (e.g., refused to cross the street to deliver food or a prescription to this woman in her 90s who has shopped there for 20 years). Surely, there's a better alternative.

I wondered the same thing, Jimmy. My mom lived in Florida and my sister still does. I don't think Publix is any better than Kroger, and it may be worse. Wegman's, now, that would be great, but as others in this thread have noted, that's not going to happen. And we had a Wegman's equivalent in Doll's in its last years, after the upgrade, and we saw how that came out. :(
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:40 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Jimmy R wrote:And we had a Wegman's equivalent in Doll's in its last years, after the upgrade, and we saw how that came out. :(

Doll's facility a good supermarket for what it was but it was certainly not even close to being a Wegman's If you had ever been to Wegmans you would know what I mean. Doll's was small (even after the expansion0 had very crowded aisles, some parts of the store, especially the meat counter area, was very poorly lit and their selection of items in many categories was quite limited.

The closest thing we have to Wegmans and Louisville would be Whole Foods and even that isn't really that close.

Next