Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Clearwater Fine Foods

no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Clearwater Fine Foods

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:30 am

It looks like they have closed. Anyone know what happened? Where do you buy lobsters now?
Andrew Mellman
User

Tracy Bird

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:03 pm

Somewhere between J-town and Fern Creek.

Re: Clearwater Fine Foods

by Tracy Bird » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:17 am

I hadn't been there in a couple of years and just discovered online that they're closed. No responses to the original post? I'd like to buy some lobsters, but don't know the best place to check now.
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:19 am

I think Bluefin seafoods bought them a few years back. I don’t think they sell to the public.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:01 pm

I think that's right, about Bluefin buying Clearwater, and yes, they're only business-to-business.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:34 pm

I was talking to one of the local restaurant owners I know in the last week or so and he told me that he had heard a rumor that Bluefin was considering opening a retail counter. Not sure how true the rumor is or not but it certainly would be a welcome addition to the Louisville food market scene.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:02 am

Not sure about the Bluefin connection . . . Bluefin is a subsidiary of Creation Gardens, and if you look up their catalogue they have a lot of frozen tails, bodies, etc., but no live lobster listed.

At the time of closing talked to one of the workmen dismantling the tanks, and he claimed that they were having trouble maintaining the stock of 3lb+ lobsters that was their specialty. I found this hard to believe, as (according to newspapers) there was a glut of lobster on the market leading to dropping prices. I think the price drops were more important, leading to pricing competition from domestic (ie: Maine) lobster shippers who didn't have to maintain a separate shipping facility in Louisville. The whole reason Clearwater was here is that after 9/11 they were losing too many lobsters, as every shipment originating overseas (Canada) had to be inspected by customs, so they tanker trucked loads to Louisville as the UPS air-freight HQ (each tanker inspected once with lobsters in water, rather than each package inspected with dry lobsters).

We've been getting tails from Costco . . . huge, very expensive (tho less than most retail or restaurants), but wonderful. Unfortunately, they don't stock them 100% of the time.
Andrew Mellman
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:58 pm

Highland Fish Market has "live" lobsters listed on their website. Not sure what "live" means.

"Live" Canadian (Hard Shell) Lobsters
(1 1/4 lb- 1 1/3 lb each)
Reg. $21.99 lb and up (CFQ)

http://www.highlandfish.com/onlineordering.html#lobster
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:00 am

Meijers used to have a tank. Can’t remember if they still do or not but I think so. I seem to remember a bunch of kids with their noses pressed up to tank and giggling not too long ago.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:07 am

Highland Fish is good, but somehow I miss Clearwater at $7.99/lb (or $12.99/lb for top ones) weighing in between 2 lbs and 5 lbs versus $21.99/lb for a 1.5 lb chicken lobsters!
Andrew Mellman