Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: tipping a "to go" order?

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:06 am

The only logical explanation - and it actually makes some sense when we consider corporate bean-counting - is that it's a calculated amount to cover the extra costs to the company in sending out a driver. If the customer wants delivery, let the customer pay for it.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:55 am

Heather L wrote:I don't understand the delivery fee - particularly $3-$4 on relatively cheap corporate pizza deliveries. What does it cost the company to do a delivery? That has to make it so tough on drivers.

I certainly agree, it seems like recently the delivery charges have gone up. Since they are paying the drivers anything but server rates I don't see how they can justify charging such a high delivery cost unless it's going to the drivers. It's just another way for them to make money and pad the at the bottom line.
Robin Garr wrote:The only logical explanation - and it actually makes some sense when we consider corporate bean-counting - is that it's a calculated amount to cover the extra costs to the company in sending out a driver. If the customer wants delivery, let the customer pay for it.

If this is the case then I might feel all right with a delivery charge of $1.50 or so, no more than that. It was stated earlier that when drivers are on the run they are being paid servers wages. Considering most of the runs are probably < 20 minutes then even $1.50 is paying more than what they are getting paid.
Last edited by Mark R. on Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:28 pm

Once I realized the delivery charges were tacked on (it's not like they were upfront about it) for pizza delivery, I stopped using it. It' s waste, prefer to pick up up myself.

There seem to be two running problems in this entire thread. One is not knowing how much workers make, and how they make it. Most know that servers and barkeeps rely on tips. But are the hosts, bussers, line cooks, dishwashers, and others paid well enough, and if not, how do I know at that particular establishment? There is more than one model and the customer is unlikely to know.

The second thing is not knowing how tips are distributed. If I tip a server, I assume that s/he takes the bulk of it and gives a percentage to the other staff. When I tip in these other forms, such as delivery and takeout, are those tips distributed among the kitchen staff, or is it just kept by the person that I happened to hand the cash to? If I'm being overly generous, is that money going to those who actually made my food?

The marketplace is confusing to the average customer and expecting the customer to address the inequities without knowing exactly what they are is problematic. It is why including tips in the service is so obviously appealing, but we haven't gotten over that hump in the U.S., probably never will.
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

by Nora Boyle » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:20 pm

Our kitchen at El Mundo divides the tips equally biweekly by how many hours they worked. (dish pit, cashier, cooks) I do know from experience that this is not the norm everywhere though. And yes, it’s on top of a decent hourly wage. I do believe this is how Red Herring operates as well.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:16 pm

Nora, that is how Starbucks distributes their tips as well (at least when my son worked there 2 years ago).
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:13 pm

I'm curious whether or not you tip at the food trucks. All our orders are "to go." I will offer that the vast majority of my customers do tip.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:31 pm

I always tip at trucks, just like at a sit down restaurant.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:01 pm

Leah S wrote:I'm curious whether or not you tip at the food trucks. All our orders are "to go." I will offer that the vast majority of my customers do tip.

This is something I thought about quite often, normally I tip but not normally at the same level I do for a sit down restaurant. Just wondering, what level of tipping do you normally see vs. those that are normal at a sit down restaurant (20%+/-)?
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:15 pm

I'm always a 20%+ tipper (more at lower-priced restaurants) for the same reason that Robin has stated. I tip around 20% for carryout also. And I usually drop a buck or so in the tip jar at Heine Bros, Blue Dog, etc. when all they do is pour me a cup of coffee or get me a scone to go.

I understand and respect all of the arguments for and against.
Previous