Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

tipping a "to go" order?

by Willie Myers » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:24 am

hi all,
here's one that I'd bet has been "asked and answered" but, in your opinion(s), what percentage *if any* do you think is an appropriate gratuity for when you pick up a "to go" order from most local restaurants?

I'm always torn as the experience - - picking up the order - - can run the gamut from; (a.) the server just grabs a bag from the kitchen and hands it to you, to (b.) the server meticulously goes through the order in front of you to make certain that everything that should be in there, *is* (in fact) in there. And sometimes I feel a bit sorry for a server that seems to have been "banished" to work only a restaurants "to go" counter.

So how much - - again, if *any* - - seems appropriate for a tip? Couple a bucks? 10%-15%? Whatcha think?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: tipping a "to go" order?

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:58 am

Willie, I tend to over-tip because, while I don't like the American system of low pay for restaurant employees who are supposed to make up the difference with tips, it happens. So - unless something really outrageous happens, requiring a discussion with the manager - I'll generally tip 20 percent anywhere I go - more in low-price places - without regard for how much work the server appears to do. Remember, the servers in the buffet still have to do a lot of table running, floor mopping, errands and chores and a lot of other stuff we don't see, for a salary that's not likely to be much over minimum wage. Or under minimum wage, if he's defined as a server.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:17 pm

I usually tip 25% when I eat in, but not when I pick up. Maybe two bucks if it's a server (for 1-2 items), less if it's a counter person (Boombozz, Simply Thai) and they are only handing me a bag. I am not being served, bread replaced, water refilled, plates brought and removed, etc., so I see no need to tip the dine-in rate.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:32 pm

SilvioM wrote:I usually tip 25% when I eat in, but not when I pick up. Maybe two bucks if it's a server (for 1-2 items), less if it's a counter person (Boombozz, Simply Thai) and they are only handing me a bag. I am not being served, bread replaced, water refilled, plates brought and removed, etc., so I see no need to tip the dine-in rate.

We tip more in light of how you do. The only possible exception is where I actually bring it out to the car for you such as Carrabba's etc. then we tip much closer to what we do if we are eating in. We feel in those cases the server commits a lot more time to the order, between getting it together and watching for the customer to arrive.

Along the same lines, one about tipping for something that's delivering such as pizza, "take-out taxi" etc.? I'm not even sure how those people are paid, how they paid the server wages do they get something different?
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:49 pm

I drive for Uber Eats on the side. Most people don't tip. If they do, it averages about $2. The further we have to drive the food from pick-up to drop-off, the more the payout is. Asian Pot on Fern Valley Rd? I love getting pick ups from there because I've driven orders as far as Portland and Park DuValle, which equaled nice payouts. McDonalds pick ups? I generally deny those requests, as there is a McD's in every neighborhood so you're only going to be driving a mile or two at most. Also hate doing McD's pick ups because they very rarely have the order ready and you can end up waiting a long time and losing out on other deliveries. We don't get paid for the drive from where we are when we receive the request to the restaurant itself.

Also, please please please please help all delivery drivers out and make sure your street number can be easily seen and that at night you have porch and security lights on!
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:24 am

Alanna H wrote:I drive for Uber Eats on the side. Most people don't tip. If they do, it averages about $2. The further we have to drive the food from pick-up to drop-off, the more the payout is.

Alanna, thanks for giving us some insight from the other side of the fence on this topic. I didn't really hear you complaining about not getting great tips so I'm assuming that what you make directly from Uber Eats is reasonable. However, I really don't understand people not to be at a reasonable level for the service. Especially when they know that you are coming from a long way away with their delivery. Actually, in this case I think the delivery distance should have a higher influence on the tip than the cost of the order does.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:53 am

I always tip delivery drivers, minimum $3, even if it is a $10/short distance order. I tip standard for counter order/table delivery. I only tip carryout if they do something besides hand me a bag.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:58 pm

I always tip delivery drivers 20 percent, based on the same premise I use for tipping in other restaurant-service situations: I'm paying 20 bucks for the pleasure of having dinner at home without having to step out. He's busting his butt driving around town delivering pizzas that he probably couldn't easily afford to have delivered to his home. If we had a living minimum wage for all workers, we might not need a tipping economy. But I can't make that happen by shafting the guy who brought me the pie. :)
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:38 pm

Maybe a little off topic, but as I have family members affected by this....

Several years ago some corporate genius figured out how to pay delivery drivers less. When they are working in the store taking orders or making pizzas, they earn minimum wage or whatever their base rate is. But as soon as they leave the store for a delivery, they clock out and are classified has tipped employees, including the corresponding drop in pay. I suppose that this isn't such a bad deal because it's been years, and there are still long tenured delivery drivers working these jobs.

But the icing on the cake is the extra 'delivery' charge added to the check. None of this money goes to the delivery drivers. But, it clearly eats into their tips because the companies never clarify that this is the case. So, reduce pay when a driver goes on a run and add an extra charge to the customer that you keep on top of this. Nice.

I may have to spread word of this Uber Eats deal...
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:52 pm

Steve H wrote:... some corporate genius figured out how to pay delivery drivers less. ...

Had to be either Papa or Yum, right? My money's on Papa ...
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:52 pm

Yeah most of the places are charging a delivery charge these days. It's always in small print somewhere that it doesn't go to the driver, but I think it should. It's why I usually pick up my own pizza (from Bearno's or the The Old School New York Pizza place) If we're having Coal's pizza, you have to eat it in. It def. loses something on the car ride over.

Tipping when getting carry out? At a pizza place a few bucks, at a place like Rafferty's or similar, generally 20%. At ice cream places? Sometimes nothing, sometimes a buck or two.
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:56 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Steve H wrote:... some corporate genius figured out how to pay delivery drivers less. ...

There you go, hatin' again???
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:41 am

Jerry C wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

There you go, hatin' again???

That's true, it had to be Papa. No one screws the employee like Papa.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

by Joni L » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:22 am

My philosophy is in line with Robin's. I always tip a minimum of 20%, whether it's delivery pizza or carry out from a full-service restaurant. Restaurant workers have to hustle, and I want to appreciate them for feeding me. I've also always felt like if I'm blessed enough to buy this meal, I should pass on the blessing to another.

Happy 4th all!
Joni
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:38 am

I don't understand the delivery fee - particularly $3-$4 on relatively cheap corporate pizza deliveries. What does it cost the company to do a delivery? That has to make it so tough on drivers.
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
Next