Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Skyline Chili?

no avatar
User

Bryan Shepherd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:58 pm

Between Here and There

Skyline Chili?

by Bryan Shepherd » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:07 am

I am not here to debate whether you like Skyline Chili's food (I enjoy a few coneys on occasion, hold the onion and extra oyster crackers please), only to let you guys know there is a new one opening in New Albany on Grant Line Rd and Mt Tabor Rd in a few months. This will be their 1st location in Southern Indiana, although it looks like they have several in the Indy area.

I did find it interesting however, that there are currently 152 locations, with several in the south part of Florida. There must be some $$ in those soggy buns!
BShep
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Skyline Chili?

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:49 am

Good to know. I'm not a hater of Cincy chili myself. It's just Greek spaghetti sauce! ;)
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:39 am

I am certainly not a fan of Cincinnati style chili. I actually thought Skyline was a dying franchise, so it is kind of interesting to me that they are still opening stores.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:34 pm

Gary Z wrote:I am certainly not a fan of Cincinnati style chili. I actually thought Skyline was a dying franchise, so it is kind of interesting to me that they are still opening stores.

That's what I was thinking also Gary. I guess if you don't like a product or restaurant you just think it will probably die away which obviously is not always the case.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:48 pm

Skyline has a growth and development problem, not a quality problem. The execution inside the existing stores is extremely strong and fine tuned. But they cannot seem to crack the code to establishing outside their core area. It's a unique product with a unique profile, it can be hard to make that work in foreign markets.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:55 pm

Seventy years ago, Greek immigrants to Cincinnati couldn't sell their native cuisine to conservative Cincinnatians, so they labeled it "chili," and our grandparents loved it. Now maybe it's time for them to start selling it to a new generation as Greek spaghetti. :mrgreen:
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:43 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Seventy years ago, Greek immigrants to Cincinnati couldn't sell their native cuisine to conservative Cincinnatians, so they labeled it "chili," and our grandparents loved it. Now maybe it's time for them to start selling it to a new generation as Greek spaghetti. :mrgreen:

I definitely agree, what you call something has a lot to do about how it is perceived. For instance, if I see white chili and a menu I probably won't order it. However, if it's called spicy chicken stew/soup I quite possibly will order it. Since ethnic foods are the big thing these days calling it Greek spaghetti may be a great marketing move to gain acceptance on a much wider region.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:45 am

4 way with onions...a guilty pleasure of mine.
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:16 pm

I don’t need to justify my fondness for Skyline Chili. And yes, if Skyline opened a store in Texas, it would be every bit chili as anything in the Lonestar State!

<ducks>
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:18 pm

We love Skyline Chili Small 5 way with a big plate--makes it less messy. We used to eat at Gold Star as well , I think there was one near Hikes Point ,maybe where Rally's is on Breckenridge Ln?
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:02 am

Ray Griffith wrote:I don’t need to justify my fondness for Skyline Chili. And yes, if Skyline opened a store in Texas, it would be every bit chili as anything in the Lonestar State!

<ducks>

Right on, right on, right on!